Tuesday, January 6, 2015

SERIOUSLY? PEDRO MARTINEZ WANTED TO BE A YANKEE?


I can't let this one go.  It's bothering me.  I may not be able to sleep tonight with visions of Pedro Martinez beating up on Don Zimmer dancing in my head.  According to the New York Daily News, Pedro Martinez admitted that he always wanted to be a Yankee.  I mean, my first reaction is, of course you did, who wouldn't want to be a Yankee?  But then, after it sunk in, I started to get angry and now it is just not sitting right in my gut.


"I was almost traded to New York more than once. A lot of people don't know that. I wanted the trade to happen. I wanted out of Montreal. I wanted to go to the best team out there," Martinez told the Daily News during a December interview in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, when he attended David Ortiz's charity golf event. "I saw John Wetteland, Marquis Grissom, Larry Walker go to different teams. But the one that ended up winning most of the time was the Yankees."


Although Martinez states his admiration of The Boss, I still don't like him.  "It was a mutual respect between the two of us," said Martinez of Steinbrenner. "Actually, more than anything, admiration, because I knew how George went about his (job) to try to win for New York, for the fans."


That's it.  I know he did great things in Boston and I know he is going to be voted to the Hall of Fame, but he beat up Don Zimmer, his appearance on the field was always sort of cranky and I am glad he never made it to the Bronx, although he did have a brief stint in Flushing.

Anyway, that's my nugget for today.  Go on with your life now...go ahead, go on.



--Suzie Pinstripe, BYB Senior Staff Writer

BYB Hot Stove Columnist
Twitter: @suzieprof






You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYaneeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!  Also, don't forget to check out the BYB Hub!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017