Monday, October 13, 2014

WHY CAN'T THE YANKEES BE MORE LIKE THE ROYALS?


As I sit here almost a month into fall and long for the Yankees to be in the 2014 Postseason, I am lifted by the energy and determination of the Kansas City Royals.  I ask myself this poignant question, "Why can't the Yankees be more like the Royals?"



Let's start with their energy.  "There’s just an amazing energy in the city. Everybody loves an underdog," stated Matt Baldwin, the designer of Baldwin Denim and Collection, sold at Barney's New York and loved by celebrities like Jay Z.  His original KC powder blue hat is the hottest selling item since the team blew passed the Oakland A's and Los Angeles Angels and now are up two games in their first ALCS appearance since 1985.  But what about the energy on the field.


According to ESPN, "The fun thing about Kansas City's outfield defense is that its greatness isn't hidden in defensive metrics that are difficult to understand or process. We can see it -- game after game, play after play."  Guys like Alex GordonNorichika Aoki, Lorenzo Cain, Jarrod Dyson, and Josh Willingham have been getting it done.  And what about pitching?  They have that covered too with James ShieldsYordano Ventura and closer Greg Holland lighting it up.  I am also impressed with the hustle and drive of infielders Omar InfanteAlcides Escobar, Eric Hosmer and Mike Moustakas.  And not to be out done, but Billy Butler is showing he still has it too.  He even stole a base to get the team this far.


I think the most important part of the team is the chemistry of these guys together.  They exude grit and determination.  They play hard and they play to win.  Perhaps they are modeling some of George Brett's gritty play that got him into the Hall of Fame with over 90% of the vote.  Brett, the team's vice president of baseball operations, exudes polish and prestige and gave the All Star Game an extra lift when the Royals hosted the iconic game a couple of years ago.


Whatever it is, the Royals are making more than headlines, they are making fans across the country with their prime time, late inning wins against formidable teams like the A's, Angels and now the Orioles.  And they are doing it with hustle, determination and the will to just win.  Charging outfielders making spectacular plays, hard throwing pitching and an equal combination of small and long ball hitting from everyone on the team make up a team who has a real chance at the top prize of baseball come late October. "Once I got over here, though, these guys embraced me with open arms. The chemistry has been great from my teammates and I'm having a blast right now. To be on this run is a lot of fun," stated Cain in an interview USA Today.


As the Royals get ready to host the Orioles in their house, I sit here shaking my head and say "why can't it be us?"  I am hopeful for the Royals, not just because I want the Orioles to lose, (Sorry @SupermanRob2914) but because I believe in their style of play- the "All-In" nature of the team that I long for in our 2015 Yankees. I hope they are watching because this is what they need to do in order to contend next year.



--Suzie Pinstripe, BYB Senior Staff Writer
Twitter: @suzieprof







You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017