Tuesday, October 21, 2014

A GIANT SUPERSTITION: ROYALS SONG BANNED FROM THE RADIO


I couldn't believe the ridiculous headlines, but it's true.  According to NBC's HardBall Talk's headline, "Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s 'Royals' during the World Series."



Should I take back the word ridiculous and say, "nuts?"  I mean to each his or her own, but now fans are reaching at straws.  But yet, it's true.  "KOIT program director Brian Figula instituted the ban on his station on Friday, announcing: “Our listeners told us to do it, so we did it! As of 4 p.m. today we’ve removed Lorde-Royals from … our playlist until the end of the World Series. Go Giants, beat the Royals!” In an announcement on its Facebook page, KFOG followed suit: “No offense, Lorde, but for the duration of the World Series, KFOG Radio will be a ‘Royals’-free zone. We’re sure you understand.”  And why not add wearing your clothes to bed inside out with a spoon under your pillow? Maybe they should also ban "Royal" blue too! Why so superstitious?  It's part of the game, and I relent, I get it.


When new Yankee Stadium was built, construction workers took pride is excavating a David Ortiz jersey from the foundation.  According to an article in the New York Times back in 2008,"Frank Gramarossa and Rich Corrado extracted a Red Sox jersey that a construction worker had buried at the site of the new Yankee Stadium. After workers used jackhammers to break through about two and a half feet of concrete, Gramarossa and Corrado pulled out a dusty, torn David Ortiz jersey." Reverse the curse onto the Bronx Bombers on the site of their new stadium?  I think not.


According to the Kansas City Star, "In response, 99.7 The Point announced Sunday that it will play "the song on the hour, every hour from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Tuesday." Bahaaaaa! I love it! As you may recall from our piece in April of this year, I WANNA BE ROYAL, "I am a closet George Brett fan. There, I said it."  So I am rooting for the Royals and I love this story.  Go ahead, San Francisco fans, plea to your radio station to ban the 2014 Song of the Year.  This action is not going to help you, only your players are going to help you by playing their best and besting the Kansas City Royals' best. May the best team win- Royal or Giant.  Let's just make it great series!

By the way, check out my piece from earlier this year:  I WANNA BE ROYAL!




--Suzie Pinstripe, BYB Senior Staff Writer
Twitter: @suzieprof






You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017