Wednesday, September 17, 2014

YANKEES WIN & I'M NOT MOVED IN THE LEAST BIT


I'll be honest here... I'm a bit surprised by this win. You all know the song and dance of the season. So wins like this, we should embrace, right? Sorry, I'm not moved at all.

Yankees got the ball rolling in the fifth when Chase Headley hit a line drive to bring in Chris Young. That was followed by Brendan Ryan's ground rule double that brought in Headley. Brett Gardner's sac fly to Wil Myers in the 6th brings in Derek Jeter to tally up all three runs we scored. 


Three stinkin' runs! Seriously? Okay, fine, we got the win. Woo hoo! It's about damn time! But... Even the Captain has been hitless since Jeter Day until tonight. 1 for 27? Really? I love you, Cap'n! Really, I do! And I have so much respect for you, but you have had me channeling my inner "Sandlot." 

"You're killin' me, Smalls!" 


Of course he isn't the only player out there letting me down a little more every day. I just won't pretend I haven't noticed because he's the Captain. Do I really have to finish this recap? I mean, none of this is relevant anymore, and isn't that just a damn shame? We've been eliminated. We can't produce runs, so we can't win games. Can't win games, you can't clinch the playoffs. Can't clinch playoffs, you can't make it to the World Series. You see where this is going, right? 

But, hey! We won! Let's all do a celebratory dance for the win that came too late. This seems a bit harsh for a recap on a game were we won, doesn't it? It seems as like I should be happy that we broke the losing streak, right? Eh... I'm trying to find the energy to care. 

Look, I love the Yankees. What made me a Yankees fan runs too deep for that to ever change. But I am also a realist. And realistically, we sucked this season. And it wasn't even like 2011 were we kind of sucked, but we had Jeter's 3000th hit, the Grand Slam Trifecta game, Mariano Rivera breaking the saves record, and Jorge Posada clinching the division. That wasn't a winning season for us, but dammit it was a great one! This season has been more like slowly letting the air out of a balloon. You hear the inappropriate farting sound. All season long! I'm tired, and I am completely disillusioned by baseball right now. I love this team, but I'm ticked of. 


The bright spot this season? Dellin Betances. Have I mentioned that I love him? Serious hero worship over this kid. He IS a Home Town Hero. This game created a career milestone for him. Betances racked up 132 strike outs as a closer to surpass Mo. Now THAT is seriously impressive, and well earned. Betances has been incredible. It has been a real pleasure to see him perform this season. He may very well be the future of this team. 

I don't know what happened this season. I don't have the answers. There was a spark of life for a while, and then a sizzle, and a pop as the lights went out. It's like they just stopped caring or trying at some point. So the Yankees win? Well good for them! Like someone told me today "This won't last forever. This too shall pass." I just wish I knew WHEN so I can prepare myself accordingly. I'm starting to wonder if this is what it felt like to be a Yankees fan in the 80's.





--Erica Morales BYB Senior Writer 
Twitter: @e_morales1804

 


You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017