Thursday, August 21, 2014

UP


Once a year, usually around this time, I think about my life. I've had a lot of pleasure up to this point. I've accomplished great things, one of which is my family, who I'm crazy about. Yes, at times I’m working on BYB more than I should, meaning, I'm cutting into my family time, but I'm a perfectionist, and I guess that carries over sometimes. After all, I run BYB, so it's got to go smoothly...that's my problem, a good one at that, and I'll work through it, I promise.  But I have drive, and I know in my heart all of this, my family, where I am in life, my brainchild of BYB is a good thing.  Sitting on my couch has never been an option for me.  I can’t sit. I can't relax. I need to be doing something.  My wife and I will joke, because I can’t get a massage… I’d rather give it than get it.  Does it make it a bad thing? Nope. I love my life and I love the way I am. I have passion and confidence that can make a difference. I don’t ever want to come in second place… I want the top prize. I want to move up.

The times I’m at my best is when I’m with my wife and kids. Trust me, the stress of raising kids can be insane, but it’s the moments during the chaos that my wife and I will look at each other and say, “How did this happen?”  That’s usually followed by a touch of the hand, or us laughing hysterically.  Let’s face it, teaching kids to wipe butts and eat all their vegetables can be draining on any parent… but that’s what we signed up for, and soon enough, as I’ve been told… they’ll be raised and gone, and we’ll miss it. When we think about it that way, me especially because I'm an emotional puddle, I get pretty sad. That's when I want to stop and re-program and hug and kiss my kids and wife alittle more.  As Ferris said, "Life goes pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you might miss it." It's so true. I vow to not miss a thing, being a father and a husband is too much fun.

I struggle with the drive I have in my life. Let me rephrase... I struggle with the balance. I’m not a workaholic or anything, but I do tend to make sure my BYB family is always fed, and always happy. It's my second family and it's grown significantly. And now I have 2 families, so on my birthday today, I feel blessed to be sharing another birthday message with all of you, letting you in alittle more about me. The message is clear;  I'm happy with what we've done at BYB, and I think the world of my real family. Life is tough and busy… but life is very good.


We recently watched the movie UP, and in it, there’s a sequence between Carl Fredrickson and his wife Ellie. It’s a montage that takes the audience from their marriage to death and their lovely life in between. With happiness, there's tragedy, but through it all, they are a happy couple... crazy about each other, crazy about what they have and crazy about what will be. My wife and I usually end up balling our eyes out.



My 4 boys look at us like we have 4 heads, and that’s OK, because as parents, it’s so difficult to truly explain to your children just how much you love them.  It’s hard to explain that the flame you have for them inside is so strong, that you just want to place them on top of the mountain of success, yet, you can't. You need to have them struggle through life themselves to see what it’s all about.  Life is about failing as well as succeeding.  It’s easy to hand them the keys to life, but sometimes you have to get them to earn it.  It’s hard as hell, and I know they don’t understand the crying, but one day they will… and you just need to hug them tight and tell them to keep working hard. More importantly though, you want them to do it, you want them to learn from you.

Family is very important.  I still speak with my parents regularly. I still ask for advice and we always check in with each other. They've raised my brother and I right and we've each built our own families and have our own achievements in our lives. My parents did good.  In fact, my old man and I will be attending a Yankee game in a few weeks together. Bonding at the ball park. A few hot dogs, a beer and chatting up during 9 innings in the Bronx.  It doesn't get better than that.

What BYB has created over the past 4 years is something so much deeper these days than just our individual families.  We all are starting to realize that BYB is that extra family to chat with.  We fight sometimes, like siblings, but we like each other's company too. We like talking about our team, and sometimes we talk about life in general.  The writers I've chosen are all very talented, but they are all family related. We all share the same values and I love them like siblings. They are great people.  We're family, each others second family... and it just feels right.


So as I reflect on my birthday... and maybe ramble alittle too much as well, I look ahead... and I look "up".  "Up" is symbolic, because "up" means you're aiming high.  "Up" means you're not looking down... you're confident... you're sure of what you want to accomplish.  Find your goal. Find your passion... and run with it.  But never forget the most important people in your life during your journey.  Your family.  I have the 4 greatest kids in the world.  I'll kiss them when they're in their 30's.  I have a wife that I'm crazy about and will be for the rest of my life.  She and I finish each other's sentences, and she still laughs at my stupid jokes.  We want the kids out of the house so we can finally get back to enjoying each other, but at the same time... we don't want them to grow up.  We're parents... and we're crazy in love with what we got... but it's family that helps you build your character.  It's their support and love that takes you to the next level.  With that love, you feel good, you're invincible and you want to conquer your goals. It takes you "Up".  I guess all I'm saying is, never leave family behind... not your real one... not BYB.

I'm a year older today, and I feel like the coolest cat in the room everywhere I go. I have confidence, passion and family... a whole lotta family, and I appreciate you being with me today to celebrate.

Thanks guys. So much has been accomplished... and much more needs to be. I won't stop pushing. Family just makes me stronger.


 
Robert Casey
BYB Chief, Managing Editor & Head Writer
@BleednYankeeBlu




You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017