Sunday, August 24, 2014

REMINISCING ABOUT JOE TORRE


I was born into a split household.  Not the kind of split household you are thinking- but a Yankee-Met household or really a Yankee-Brooklyn Dodger household.  My grandmother fought for me to love the Mets, but she was fighting against my father, who wasn't losing to a Met fan.  She would try and wine and dine me as an 8-year-old with trips to Shea, concession stand food, souvenirs and Met caps.  I fell in love with the game, sure, I cheered let's go Mets with the rest of them, but my heart belonged to the Yankees.  There were a few Mets that my heart beat for too, however.  Guys like Tom Seaver, Jerry Koosman and later on, Lee Mazzilli tempted me to cross over, but the guy who I had the most respect for and appreciated as a leader, even as a young kid, was Joe Torre.


I remember being so impressed that he was a player-manager.  He not only could play and hit, but he could call the shots.  Fast forward about 20 years later, and Torre is the manager of the iconic New York Yankees and he brings back championships to us here in Yankeeland.


Now he gets honored by the Baseball Gods at the Hall of Fame and legendary monument park folk lore at the the Stadium this year.  And he is humbled by all he has accomplished.  He looked so polished and poised for a leader who has been through his fill of challenges.  Remember he was the manager who got us through 9/11 and he was the guy who groomed our Captain, Derek Jeter who now leaves the game at top of his game.


In front of droves of fans who made it to the ball park today to see a piece of history, Torre accepted his honor graciously. The dedication on Torre’s plaque was read aloud. It began, “His calm approach and dignified manner provided the foundation for one of the most successful eras in franchise history."


Once again, I am awed by a legend of the game who has had an impact on so many players including four current managers who played under Torre.  These are my thoughts today as I reminisce about Joe Torre, my manager, our manager, and a guy who continues to lead, provide guidance and carry the game on his back.

Thank you Joe!  Can't wait to see #6 hang eternally in Monument Park.




--Suzie Pinstripe, BYB Senior Staff Writer
Twitter: @suzieprof


   
 
You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017