Tuesday, June 3, 2014

JEFF SAMARDZJIA BELONGS IN PINSTRIPES


Circa 1982- my brother and I refuse to set foot in Baltimore for fear of catching something awful as my family drove back from Florida.  Neither of us cared that we had to pee or stretch our legs.  We just weren’t getting out of the car. 


Nope, we were Yankee fans and sorry Kenny Singleton, we would rather suffer than let our heels hit the ground in your city.  I say this because I just will not lose to Baltimore. And I will not let Jeff Samardzija wear Oriole Orange. 


I understand that CBS sportswriter Bruce Levine stated that, “The Baltimore Orioles appear to be the leading team of interest in the sweepstakes for Cubs right-hander Jeff Samardzija, as sources confirmed the two teams are mutually interested.” I say that it’s not happening.  The Yankees need to get to the finish line first and when it happens it will be swift.  The Baltimore Sun is reporting that, “everybody is interested in Samardzija. And the Orioles have shown reluctance in the past to deal their top pitching prospects.”  Frankly, the Cubs would be wise to wait a bit on the Orioles young pitching since two of the prospects are coming off serious injuries. 


Perhaps I am biased.  Well, forget the perhaps, I am biased.  I want Samardzija here in New York because we need him more.  And we have more to give, which could include cash for Theo Epstein’s man purse. 

What does Samardzija want? According to an article in Newsday last week, the Cubs ace stated that, “You definitely want to be playing meaningful games -- period," Samardzija said. "When you're trying to hold your spot in first place, or to get a step closer to first place, that's what it's all about. That's where I want to be -- and I want to be there as soon as possible."  He also went on to say that, “I'm not entrenched here by any means," Samardzija said. "It's almost like a kid leaving for the first time -- that feeling of being a little uneasy. I wouldn't really know what to expect not being here."  Okay, so he wants to win and he could be a little homesick; nothing that a good dose of New York lovin’ can’t heal.  Jeff, come to New York, a city that will embrace your talent and youthfulness and reward you with rich tradition, an empire state of mind and an opportunity of a lifetime.




--Suzie Pinstripe, BYB Opinion Columnist
Twitter: @suzieprof


   

 
You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017