Friday, May 16, 2014

YEAH, I AM STARK RAVING MAD!

But what else is new, right? Casey warned you that my battle cry was coming last week, and here it is. Say goodbye to another farm hand. Shortly after this story breaks he is probably going to be picked up, signed, and thrown into the starting lineup for some other team. He may even hit a homerun for his first at bat! Hell, with our luck he may hit that home run for a division rival. Yes, I know I am ranting right now but....a rant is healthy. It's how we were born after all!


So who am I mad about now? Ronnier Mustelier? Remember him? He was supposed to be the next big thing. The Yankees were supposedly drooling over him like I would over a brand new pair of Jimmy Choo's. Apparently, I love my shoes more than the Yankees love some of our farm hands. I am really starting to believe that now and it frustrates me! I even posted about it randomly on my facebook page. One of my friends and BYB readers laughed at me and responded to me by calling me a "prospect hugger." You know what? I am....and I am damn proud of it!


Mustelier has had his own health challenges so far this season, but so has a majority of the roster. It looked like the Yankees were at least going to capitalize on the hype when we wrote A MUSTY REPORT ON MUSTELIER? and said "...the fact that he is 28 years old may prove to be a limiting factor in how long the Yankees may choose to invest in him. They may choose to use him as trade bait, for a team in need of a good-hitting third baseman with decent defense skills. With their current wealth of infielders, it may be the Yankees’ best play. If nothing happens by the trade deadline, look for him possibly to come up in September for his first exposure to the major leagues, which will give scouts and Yankees management a look. Either way, this kid is someone to keep an eye on."

Someone to keep an eye on alright, but now for another team because we released him. Why do we constantly do this? I don't get it. I love how we just "dump" players. Why not try to move them for something else? If there is a "log jam" of better players first of all.....where are they? Our farm is a mess right now. If you need more proof in that, let's wait to see who the Yankees officially name as the starter for Thursday's closing game against the Mets. It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack right now. We have very little to barter with and even less that is ready to be called up for backup. If there are better option then Mustelier then so be it, but put some feelers out there and see if we can get something for him in return!


To be fair, I can understand why some might say he isn't much of a prospect. I get that, he is older so he's not really what we think of when it comes to a kid on the farm. However, he has VALUE! Again, I go back to this value thing. I have said this more times than I can count but it is true. Mustelier can play third base and the outfield. Right now, he could be more useful than ever. Considering that Carlos Beltran could possibly need surgery thanks to a bone spur read that HERE, he could be useful. Oh and there is also Ichiro Suzuki and his sore lower back problem. He has been unable to swing, or turn it at all, read that HERE. So, what if this is a long-term problem? We just gave away a capable body.


So far Kelly Johnson and Yangervis Solarte have also done everything the Yankees have asked of them but what if they hit the disabled list also? Not to sound paranoid here but we already have enough injuries lined up. I just don't want to re-visit the Yankee strategy from 2013 where we were reactive instead of proactive. Why doesn't the front office see this?


Look, I will fully embrace my "prospect hugger" status. It can't be any worse then the methods we have been using. Until the Yankees start using their heads I will continue to rant about it. So long Mustelier. The Yankees treated you like a flash in the pan or a one-hit wonder. Hopefully the next time I see you I am not throwing things at my tv because you are enjoying new found success because that will just start another rant. Onward and upward I guess.....prospect hugger out.





 --Jeana Bellezza, BYB Senior Writer and Editor
Twitter: @NyPrincessJ


 

You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017