Saturday, May 24, 2014

WHAT CAN'T ICHIRO DO?

Love this nugget and wanted to bring it to your attention just because you guys know how much I love Ichiro Suzuki.


David Waldstein of the New York Times has a piece about Ichiro. In it, David writes of Ichiro one day maybe pitching for the Yankees before he retires:

"A former high school pitcher who has thrown in an All-Star Game, the 40-year-old Suzuki has ambitions to get back on the mound at least one more time before he retires.

'I would be happy to help if they need me,' he said, his eyes brightening at the prospect of it.


Suzuki pitched to one batter in the 1996 Japan All-Star Game, and with his free-and-easy delivery, he induced a ground ball for an out from a pitcher.

Suzuki has two strong pitches.

'Fastball and slider,' he said with pride. 'But like all Japanese pitchers, the splitter is my bread and butter.'

Girardi, who has seen video of Suzuki’s appearance, said he would consider using him in an emergency.

'I’ll definitely ask him if he can do it,' Girardi said. 'It looks like he has pretty good stuff.'”

I had to do the search on YouTube, and of course I found it. This is Ichiro in 1996 pitching in an All-Star game. Notice Hideki Matsui in there:


Gotta love it.

You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017