Saturday, December 28, 2013

WOULD YOU TAKE A CHANCE ON MARK MULDER?


I am of the belief that the Yankees need pitching.  I love the idea of CC Sabathia, Ivan Nova and Hiroki Kuroda in our rotation, but there is worry ladies and gentlemen, especially if this Masahiro Tanaka stuff doesn't work out for the Yanks. I know, yes, I know we picked up some great offensive pieces, but the offense wasn’t really my worry.  We need a solid 5 rotation.  Now, if the Yankees want to back fill their rotation with someone like Vidal Nuno, I could get on board with that, but that still leaves a gaping hole in the number 4 spot. 


Me personally, I would like to fill that with veteran, experienced pitching because I think it would help tremendously.  We here at Bleeding Yankee Blue liked the idea of Matt Garza.  Many don’t and that’s fine, but let me ask you this… what about a guy like left handed pitcher Mark Mulder who's trying to make a comeback?  Do you take a chance on him?  I don’t have an answer… I’m just not sure.


I was reading Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe the other day and he had this nugget on Mulder. Check it out:

Mulder is looking for a creative contract as he makes his comeback attempt. He may have to agree to a minor league deal first, with incentives if he makes the major league club. Mulder has worked out for the Giants, Padres, Diamondbacks, Angels, and Phillies over two sessions. In the second session, Mulder, who hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2008, improved his velocity from 88 to 92 miles per hour. It’s a long road back, but the fact that Mulder’s shoulder is showing no signs of discomfort could mean he’d be a good back-end option for someone. The Red Sox have inquired, but probably won’t pursue him.”

The Angels are the favorite right now, according to Nick, who Tweeted this:
Now, let me state that if the Yankees were to try and sign Mulder to a minor league deal first, and then keep tabs on him and if ready, they could bring him up, that would be ideal, but Mulder wants a pro deal no doubt.


Again, I like the idea of stockpiling pitching and the idea of trying to sign Mulder could be an interesting move, as well as cheap. But, what would you do? Would you try and sign Mulder? Would you try and sign a Matt Garza? Would you wait and see what happens with Tanaka and risk not having any free agents left in the process? Would you back fill the rotation with guys like David Phelps and Vidal Nuno?  

Some interesting questions, but I’m not sure I know the answer… not yet anyway.  Do you?

Thank you to all the Bleeding Yankee Blue readers for continued success.  You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in the history of Yankees fandom.  Thanks for reading, sharing and enjoying. Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017