Sunday, November 10, 2013

I LOVE NEW YORK


If you read BYB often, there is no surprise that we love New York sports.  Although we write about the Yankees, our fans also show the love for the Mets, Knicks, Rangers, Islanders, Giants, and Jets.  New York City is also the home to the US Open Tennis Tournament and yes, the NYC Marathon- a premiere international event for running.  Now, I have never played professional sports, therefore, I have always just been a fan of New York teams until I ran the NYC Marathon last week. After completing the Marathon, I am forever changed by not only competing but by the fans of this great city. 

Training for about two years since Hurricane Sandy called off the Marathon last year, I fully understand the importance of commitment to training, fitness and nutrition.  Our Bombers, who put in the work, realize the successes that a good training regiment can provide.  But, no one and nothing can truly prepare you for the bridges, wind and weather conditions and the overwhelming cheering of people adorning the streets of the five boroughs of New York.  I equate it to the chants of Derek Jeter, roll call from the Bleacher creatures and jeers for ARod all in one.  New Yorkers are one of a kind- they are the best fans in the world.


When the gun went off at the mouth of the Verrazano Bridge, I took off into the winds of the city.  The roars of Brooklyn greeted me first as I coasted off the bridge about 2 miles into the race.  There was music from “Don’t Wake Me Up” to “Eye of the Tiger” to “Empire State of Mind.” 


There were high fives from kids as young as three and adults as old as 90.  And there were swells of people, random strangers, cheering you on as if you were their hero.  Queens led me for two miles into the 59th Street Bridge, an uphill wind tunnel carrying me into 1st Avenue in Manhattan- the biggest party in the world.  My dry fit Yankee cap led the way up the streets into the Bronx where the Willis Avenue Bridge let me catch a glimpse of the House that Ruth Built way in the distance.  Although silent, I imagined the crowds of Bronx surrounding me to be the fans of at the Stadium cheering for one more hit, one more run, lifting the Yankees to victory.  That’s how I got through the few miles in the Bronx, which eventually got me back to Manhattan and into the final stretch. 

Screaming my name for three final miles through Central Park, the fans of the city, pushed me through the finish line, where I was wrapped in a bright orange cape and decorated with a beautiful medal, the most fantastic birthday present of my life. 


Yes, I ran the Marathon through the streets of New York on my birthday, a cold windy November 3rd covered with party guests from all over the city.  And when World Series Champions hold up their beautiful gold trophy for all to see, and Stanley Cup Champs drink a victory shot from Lord Stanley’s cup, I get it.  I get it not just as a fan, but now as a competitor- it feels good to win.  And for runners, winning is not about crossing the finish line first, it is about beating your last time and reaching the finish faster than last time.  It is about pushing yourself in rain, snow and heat to get in your run.  It is about getting up early on the weekend and before work on a weekday to get in your run.  It is about regiment, commitment and dedication.  


And if our guys are going to win this year or any other year, they have to get back to basics- the training protocols that got them to where they are today.  To play in New York is a gift, frankly it’s a treasure.  New York Fans are truly the best in the world, so my message to the New York Yankees is “don’t let us down!”  Put in the work in the off-season, find your moxie and come back to the Bronx as winners. 

We fans deserve it!



--Suzie Pinstripe, BYB Opinion Columnist
Twitter: @suzieprof




The Bleeding Yankee Blue store is opened! CLICK HERE TO START SHOPPING! Also, follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017