Monday, October 7, 2013

THE YANKEES PR MACHINE PROTECTS THE CANO IMAGE


Call it a coincidence or call it strategic.  The Yankees helped float a story about the great things Cano has done OR Robinson Cano called in a favor himself.  Either way, it became crystal clear to me that I believe that there will be some type of Robinson Cano reunion with the Yankees just as quickly as he becomes a Free Agent. Why? Well, how come this headline appeared on the Yankees website today just a few days after a destruction story about Cano and his love child came out?  You tell me.


As you may remember, or, maybe you forgot and I'll remind you anyway... I found it to be incredibly irresponsible for ESPN to report on a story involving Robinson Cano and his child... a child that no one knew about with days to go until he becomes a free agent.  Look.  The story is simple.  Cano has a kid and a baby mama and it all came out late last week.  I am not revealing the woman's name or the child's name because to give publicity to a private matter is not my place.  It's wrong actually.  If Cano isn't paying enough to raise the child, he and the mom need to hash that out, not me. 

But like I said in my story Saturday, I did find the strategic release of that story odd, especially when Cano almost free from his Yankees contract.  What happens is now it appears that while Robinson Cano is accused to being greedy,  he's ALSO accused of being a tight-ass with his money and "family" in the public eye.  My point is, what's private is private and stories like that only tarnish a reputation.

Well, now the Yankee PR machine is out and it's clear they will make an attempt to retain Cano. That's my opinion of course, because my thinking is, if they were not interested in Robbie, Bryan Hoch wouldn't have
gone through the trouble of publishing a piece praising Cano for his great charitable work.  Hoch knows these guys well and wrote: 

"'As the Yankees celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month, Cano's contributions to the community are deserving of note. The second baseman has been actively involved with his RC24 Foundation, which was founded with a mission statement to "positively impact the lives of under served children and communities from New York to the Dominican Republic.'


Through the foundation, Cano donated eight ambulances, medical supplies, paramedic crew training and children's toys to the impoverished Dominican Republic city of San Pedro de Macoris.


Since 2005, Cano has also regularly visited terminally ill patients at New Jersey's Hackensack University Medical Center, where a pediatric ward has been named in his honor. Many of those patients have been invited to visit Yankee Stadium as VIPs, observing batting practice on the field and watching the game with their families.


'I like to do my things quietly," Cano said. 'I don't go around and say, 'I'll do this,' or, 'I'm doing that.' It's important because I know where I'm coming from. We don't have that much help [in the Dominican]. If I have the chance and I can help, why not?'"


All sunshine and rainbows and Cano's image suddenly looks better than it did last week.  He's not a cheap skate after all... he's generous! Wow!  Now look, if you think this was just a coincidence that Hoch would put this out for the Yankees, Cano and MLB, it's my opinion that you'd be mistaken.  This was a PR play by the Yankees.  I believe at this point, if they were not interested in Cano, this piece may not be so glowing.  In fact, he may not come out at all.


I know... you think I'm nuts.  Hoch writes for MLB.com, what does he have to do with Cano? Well, Hoch has a website called Bomber's Beat for a reason, he's on the Yankees' beat.  It means everything... I believe this was a favor.  Look, all I'm saying is, as much as the story involving Cano's child surprised everyone last week... I'm equally surprised by this story today... or maybe I'm not. It almost seems like it's supposed to happen like this.  It's a way to clean up Cano's image right before his Free Agency and right after bad press.

Yup, I believe the Yankees will make Cano an offer, a serious one.  No, not $300 million... that would be ridiculous and Cano knows that.  $200 million man? Perhaps... but no 10 year deal... those never work.

Whatever the case... this story swooped in to save the day at the right time for Cano... let's see what happens next. 

The Bleeding Yankee Blue store is opened! CLICK HERE TO START SHOPPING! Also, follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017