Thursday, October 3, 2013

MISSING RUSSELL THE MUSCLE


With the Yankees out of the playoffs, I've had some time to think. It seems like a lot of old Yankees are making a run for the championship, and I can't help but think about Russell Martin.

Martin has had an incredible season. He hit .226 in the regular season with a .998 fielding percentage. This season, he was top ten among catchers in batting averaged. He has become a leader for the Pirates, and has been one of the reasons they have made it this far. Russell's solo homer during Tuesday nights game helped give the Pirates the win over the Reds, and put them one step closer in the play-offs. It was the third time he homered with his first at bat in the post season, having done the same with the Dodgers, and the Yankees.

You know what, I miss Russell. I thought it was a terrible idea for the Yankees to have let him walk. I know that a great majority of fans didn't agree with me at the time, but I threw kind of a fit. Let's face it, Russell is a gritty player, and an excellent defensive catcher. Batting can be worked on, and he has improved from last season.


And really, I like Francisco Cervelli, and Chris Stewart well enough, but they are no Russell Martin. Not even combined.

I understood the logic. The Yankees organization thought that Cervelli, and Stewart could get the job done. Or they didn't think that Russell would walk if they didn't make him a priority. The truth is, we needed Russell. He should have been a priority. We saw a string of shaky catchers this season. All of which were eclipsed in skill by Russell.


Russell in an article in the New York Daily News (HERE), he says he would have liked to stay in the Bronx. "I hope they are home watching. I hope they are cheering me," he said. Well, one thing is for sure, this Yankees fan has got your back, Russell. I wish you nothing but success, and hope to see both you, and AJ Burnett make a good run this post season. You are missed in the Bronx, and yes, some Yankees faithful are cheering you on.

 
 

--Erica Morales BYB Senior Writer
Twitter: @e_morales1804




The Bleeding Yankee Blue store is opened! CLICK HERE TO START SHOPPING! Also, follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017