Sunday, September 8, 2013

GET. BACK. UP!


Suddenly I was on the mat. Out of breath, knocked silly. I had no idea what hit me.

I was entered into a Judo tournament when I was a boy, and doing far better than I expected to. The classes had been difficult. The Sensei had partnered me with a much larger, much taller, and very fat boy. Sparring consisted of me struggling to execute a throw, and the other guy just letting his weight fall on me. It was endlessly frustrating.

Yes, this will be an allegory for the Yankees. Stick with me.


My father kept encouraging me. Inspiring me. He pointed out that if I could learn to handle myself against this much larger opponent, I could handle anyone. More importantly, I had to know what it was to lose a fight before I could win one. Get up. Get back up. Don’t stay down until you aren’t capable of getting back up.

These last few games at Yankee Stadium put a dent in my spirit. I had a completely different article ready to go today, but couldn’t release it. My usual upbeat “never say die” style was mocking me from the computer screen. I didn’t feel it, so I couldn’t tell anyone else to feel it.


Instead, I thought back. When was the last time I felt this deflated? To have such high expectations, and then lose your objective when it’s practically in your hand? I thought back to that Judo tournament.

My father had been right, and my Sensei had been wise. After months of learning how to execute against a much larger partner, I flew through the brackets. I was suddenly tossing opponents around, easily winning matches, making my own confidence swell. It felt amazing!

Next thing you know, I am in the finals. I was up against an older kid, a couple belts above me. No matter, I thought, I got this! To my credit, I did surprise the guy with a good move or two. Then he ended the match. With authority.


Our pitching has walked right into Red Sox bats lately. They have been deer in the headlights. The Yankees lost late in the game after gaining leads. They never saw it coming. Then it was over.

Lying on the mat, I was stunned. What had hit me? Everything stung. My head was filled with marbles and broken glass. My eyes were watering. I couldn’t breathe. All I could think was, “Get up. Get up. Get up.
 Get UP!”

And that’s what I remembered when I woke up this morning.

"Get up."


The Yankees have just suffered some heart-breakers. Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain wear the goat horns, whether or not they deserve the full blame. Yankee fans are screaming with despair. Writhing in pain on the mat.

"Get up."


We had them. Those games were won. We were closer to the post season. Everything was going our way. Then, BOOM, we were done.

"Get UP!"


Judo is not an aggressive martial art. It is focused on using your opponent’s momentum against them. Getting them down and holding them down. If you get too aggressive in this sport, you will get sent flying through the air.

Most importantly, Judo teaches you to break your fall. It lets you hit the mat and roll back up to your feet. It lets you regain your balance and gives you the presence of mind to figure out what to do next.
These are the principles we all need to take in right now. Shake it off. Get back up. It is a new day. If a nine year old boy can drag himself off the mat, then so can you. The Yankees are still not done.


Turn and face the future, and BELIEVE!

Get. Back. Up!

 
Chad R. MacDonald
BYB Features Writer
Facebook: New York Yankees the Home of Champions
My Blog: ChadRants



The Bleeding Yankee Blue store is opened! CLICK HERE TO START SHOPPING! Also, follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017