Friday, September 20, 2013

FOR PETTITTE, THIS TIME IT'S FOR REAL

 
The fact that Andy Pettitte is making his final start in Houston this season, as well as him announcing his retirement and Mariano Rivera also hanging it up came together in the decison making. I believe that. There's no longer a need to push. He has accomplished everything he could and now, it's time. 
 
 
 Today Andy said this about his retirement:
"I've reached the point where I know that I've left everything I have out there on that field. The time is right. I've exhausted myself, mentally and physically, and that's exactly how I want to leave this game.... One of the things I struggled with in making this announcement now was doing anything to take away from Mariano's day on Sunday. It is his day. He means so much to me, and has meant so much to my career that I would just hate to somehow take the attention away from him."
I will say this... I find it weird. I mean, I appreciate Andy expressing his concern for Mo, but I find it weird that Andy would take the stage today to make his announcement. Many, including me feel as though the Mariano Tour should just be about Mariano. Why do this now? Why not doing it next week? Why not do it the week after the season ends, if we don't make the playoffs that is. Maybe I think too much. 

As a friend of mine said, "Mariano doesn't care about that stuff. He loves Andy" and he's probably right. As fans, we protect our guys, and we fans are bubble wrapping Mariano's season so it's perfect and just for Mariano, but Andy needed to do what he did today, maybe to just get it over with as not to upstage Rivera's final weekend and week, and maybe selfishly because he wanted a big homecoming "moment" in Houston. Who knows, this post isn't to bash ANDY, I love the guy.  Just trying to figure it out.

This post was to simply say that I'm proud of Andy and all he's done for us and he's going to be missed. Thanks Andy for all you did!
 
Oh yeah, and all that concern about Mo being overshadowed by Andy doesn't matter to Mo.  You know how I know? Kevin Kernan of the New York Post tweeted a photo of Mariano at Andy's press conference today.  
 
 
Freaking class.  Next to Mariano? Suzyn Waldman... goodness gracious.

We'll have a knockout piece about Mariano, Andy and the rest of the Core Four tomorrow. Be sure to check and read and share... it's great! Thanks to Steve Skinner. 
 
The Bleeding Yankee Blue store is opened! CLICK HERE TO START SHOPPING! Also, follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017