Saturday, July 20, 2013

THE YANKEES GOT PITCHING PROBLEMS!


What do we do with this rotation? It's not the first time we have asked this question this season. Since we are asking again we obviously have some things to figure out. Good thing is, the trade deadline is quickly approaching and I think it is going to help bring some much needed change. The rotation is inconsistent and isn't championship caliber material right now. But it could be with a few tweaks.


I still believe that Hiroki Kuroda is our ace, but based on pitching strategy it isn't smart to pitch him in front. The Yankees need to sandwich him between Andy Pettitte and CC Sabathia. We have talked about this before in PITCHING ROULETTE. I still can't believe he wasn't chosen to be an All-Star considering he has the second lowest ERA of all American League starters. On the bright side it rested him so he will be ready for a tough second half and it kept him from any possible injuries during the game. We had enough of a scare when Robinson Cano got hit....I will pass on anymore scares. Bottom line, he is the anchor for this team so far. We need him to continue to dominate and set the tone for us.


I still believe in CC Sabathia. He is always a horse, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried. He just doesn't look the same out there. He looks uncomfortable and unsure of himself. Sometimes he looks like he is thinking too hard, at least that is what I see. It's that time in his career where he needs to start making those adjustments to be productive. I still think he can do it. We need him to come alive though in the second half because his last start against the Minnesota Twins made me cringe. Four innings against a weak team just isn't going to cut it.


I haven't lost faith in Andy Pettitte yet either even though he got the loss last night. I don't think I could honestly. One thing is for sure though, we need vintage Andy in the second half. Some people say he isn't the same pitcher anymore and that he just doesn't have "it" anymore. Some say it is time to retire. We all know that Andy is a gamer though.

I still keep the top three in the same order, and then I slot Ivan Nova in the fourth spot but if I am Joe Girardi I start to make some switches at the bottom (thankfully I am not him though). Something is going to happen with either Phil Hughes or Joba Chamberlain by the time the trade deadline comes around and I truly believe that, read A HUGHES MOVE WILL HAPPEN...SOMEHOW, SOMEWAY. Here's how....


Either Joba or Hughes is bound to leave. I'm not sure who but one of them has to be on the move. If it is Hughes, then hopefully we get a young prospect or two and then we can bring Michael Pineda up. If Joba goes, then the Yankees can still move Hughes to the bullpen where I think he really belongs. It's not a new idea, but I do think it would be a good one.

It's time to see what Pineda has...and honestly I don't think there is anyone else out there worth taking a gamble on. Even if there was, we probably don't have the leverage to get them. We have been waiting to see what Pineda can do for this team. Maybe he is the young, fresh blood we are looking for. I can only hope he brings balance to our team and helps us go on a tear.





--Jeana Bellezza, BYB Senior Writer and Editor

Twitter: @NyPrincessJ

 


The Bleeding Yankee Blue store is opened! CLICK HERE TO START SHOPPING! Also, follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017