Wednesday, July 17, 2013

A MARIANO MOMENT I'LL NEVER FORGET

We'll recap the All-Star game as soon as we can. Hopefully first thing in the morning, maybe even tonight after this post. Don't hate us...  I mean let's face it, we're tired.  Even the BYB writers need to sleep... but I just want to mention something that I will never forget and I wanted to make it it's own post.


You know me, I believe kindness makes the world go 'round.  When you're a kid, or a rookie and you have your first hit, or first strikeout, you cherish it and you love getting high-fives from your teammates. You write the date on the game baseball and put it on your dresser.  My kids have dozens of them and not only that, they remember who told them "good job".  As you climb the ladder of life, or baseball, you do the same thing. 

Now, after a long career for Mariano,  I noticed something that FOX failed to pick up and mention, but I know you saw it and appreciate it and if you missed it, Bleeding Yankee Blue will bring it to you now, because it's important.  As you know, Mariano Rivera game in tonight and then was followed by Texas Rangers Joe Nathan to get the Save and the American League won tonight, 3-0.

But look,  it wasn't the game as much as the "moment" that I saw tonight. As the American League was shaking hands after a job well done, Nathan and Mariano looked at each other. There was a brief conversation that only the 2 of them know about. Then, there was smiles, and a ball exchange and then a hug.  Joe Nathan gave Mariano the game ball. 


Now, maybe it me being in my 40's.  Maybe I'm just an old sap that reads into everything, hoping there's a great moment of humanity or kindness or symbolism.  Moments like that stick with me forever and it makes you realize just how much of an impact someone like Mariano Rivera has done for this great game of baseball... for you, for me and even for Joe Nathan who did the right thing tonight, in Mo's last All-Star game ever, as well as his last season in this great game as a New York Yankee.

Moments like that make you appreciate this game... enjoy it as a fan and know this... you won't read about that moment  anywhere else, but BYB. That's the truth.

Good work Joe Nathan... and Mo... we will miss you.

The Bleeding Yankee Blue store is opened! CLICK HERE TO START SHOPPING! Also, follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue (Official) on Facebook, just type it in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017