Wednesday, June 19, 2013

TO JAMES GANDOLFINI... SALUTE

James Gandolfini wasn't a New York Yankee. He become an iconic figure overnight for his role as Tony Soprano in the HBO smash, "The Sopranos."  He was a New Jersey guy, a likable gangster... if that's even a thing. But for many years on Sunday night... my wife and I were sure to be home to watch HBO at 9pm. It was what we did for years and today, we find that he's died of a massive heart attack in Italy... read HERE.
And yes... we're kind of devastated.

I know... this has nothing to do with my Yankees team.  Well, for me, it's a sad day.  Many will have stories about Gandolfini, remembering him, honoring him, talking about him over the next several days.  Bleeding Yankee Blue rarely does that sort of thing when it comes to non-sport stuff... but we will tonight.

My wife and I were at a party right around the hype of the Sopranos.  One of my friends invited us to some event in New York City and we went, really not knowing what to expect.  It was crowded, too crowded and there was pushing and shoving as people moved around the small room with their drinks.  We felt like 3rd wheels, not knowing anyone, just kind of standing there.  "Excuse me miss," a voice said to my wife, "I just need to scoot by." "Sure," she said and turned to a large man with a semi-smile and a twinkle in his eye... it was James Gandolfini. Star struck, we moved aside and he went on his way, into a holding area where we noticed all the Sopranos stars were.  The rest of the night we stared.  They were a happy group and looked like a boy's club.  It was pretty neat.

Again, today I'm sad.  Sure, I didn't really know him of anything, but his character sucked me in.  It was a terrific character, terrific show as far as the drama of it and just really well done. I consumed me...

No, I wasn't a friend of his, but he was a "friend in my head" I guess you can say and I just wanted to put it on paper...

Rest in Peace James... Salute...

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017