Sunday, May 26, 2013

YANKS DON'T WIN 30 WITHOUT ICHIRO'S DEFENSE

I should have mentioned this in last night's recap YANKEES WIN! I LYLE LOVE IT! but I failed to. I apologize.  The reality is you know I love Ichiro, and my intent was the highlight Lyle Overbay's comeback homer in the recap, but the reality is, if Ichiro doesn't make this catch below, I'm not sure we win last night.  Here it is:


The reality is, Ichiro has been making some pretty incredible defense plays all this season.  Many are overlooked and many have contributed to the Yankees wins.  I mean, they have 30 this season. No one expected that. Maybe it's because it's Ichiro and we just expect it, but the dude's 39 and he plays like he's 30 in the outfield.

Think about the outstanding catches Ichiro has made this season... Now think about this silly debate we're having about Curtis Granderson coming back and who should sit from our already outstanding outfield.  This catch happened in mid-May:



Outstanding and forgotten.  I'm going to admit, I forgot about it too, but it's part of the 2013 Yankees history.  The Yankees are winning and sure, the homers and comebacks are a huge part of it, but without this type of defense, I'm not sure we win as much as we have.   How about this one from May 4th:





You have to laugh because only Al Leiter seems impressed in this clip above.  Then again, Al Leiter probably gets impressed when the bus shows up on time.  Again though, incredible.


Look, I could go on and on.  I have always loved Ichiro and that goes way before he was a New York Yankee. Sure, the guy cranks out 200 hits a year, but we have to give this 39 year old some credit.  He's rejuvenated himself and I predicted this would happen when he was traded to the Yankees...read ICHIRO TO THE YANKS IS MY PIPE DREAM. That was written just days before it happened.  I'll pat myself on the back over and over after suggesting Suzuki would be a perfect fit in the Bronx... let's hope the guy continues to help us win.

Enjoy these clips.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017