Sunday, May 5, 2013

THE YANKEES LOST, BUT I MET BALD VINNY


The Yankees tried their best to come back and win today against the Oakland Athletics, but they just fell short.  Andy Pettitte was not lights out, but hey, it's May and he will improve. 


Today Pettitte went 5 innings, allowed 4 hits, 4 runs and 2 home runs.  Again with the homers, what is going on lately?  Not sure if we should be concerned about that yet... stay tuned.

Preston Claiborne debuted for the Yankees today.  He relieved Pettitte.  The kid did OK... I will bet we'll see more of him at some point. 

Ichiro Suzuki and Brett Gardner each had 2 hits today.  Newly acquired Chris Nelson was 0-3.   With the Athletics up 4-1 today, the Yanks came back to tie it at 4. For instance, in the bottom of the 6th, Ichiro doubled and Vernon Wells scored. Shortly after that, Lyle Overbay singled and both Travis Hafner and Ichiro scored. 

Later on though Josh Donaldson homered off Boone Logan... That was it.  Even though the Yankees threatened in the 9th... the game ended with 2 men on base and Vernon Wells striking out.  Game over, Athletics win.

On a side note, it was nice to be at the stadium today.  I was asked to go last minute and I was among great company.  Our kids had a blast, the food is always great (Read THE BEST STEAK SANDWICH EVER)
and the fans are always terrific.


After the last out I ventured out and saw Bald Vinny standing there holding court in front of his store. I needed to just say hello. I mean, Vinny is a big part of the Yankee Bleacher Creatures and it's a respect thing among Yankee fans. "Vinny! Casey of Bleeding Yankee Blue. I just wanted to say Hi!" We shook hands. "Hey, thanks for stopping by." The meeting was brief, I continued my walk to the car and while Bald Vinny is not a celebrity, it's nice to put a face to the name after the past couple of years. 

Final today: Athletics 5 - Yankees 4.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017