Thursday, May 23, 2013

IS SOMETHING GOING ON WITH CC?

I don't know. I have read so many rumors about our CC Sabathia and I have to admit, some of them are a little scary. The Yankees have so many injuries it's hard to even comprehend at this point. The 40 man roster is very crowded now that there have been so many players that were moved to the 60 day disabled list. The injured list is getting longer and the number of reserves is dwindling.

Some people aren't worried. I have had people tell me that it is pointless to worry so much in May. I understand that to a point.  But what if CC doesn't evolve  into that dominating pitcher next month? Or July? Then things could get ugly in Yankee land.

For years we have said that we shouldn't worry about CC at the beginning of the year. As the weather gets warmer, so does CC. He hasn't disappointed us yet and he has been our rock and he is a gamer. I don't think that what he have been seeing is going to be normal for him. He's still our ace, and I still believe in what he can do. This lineup is battered from top to bottom, so maybe it is just easier to speculate. I'm no expert, but it's a theory. Right now we are so focused on all of the injuries so maybe we are hyping this up.

There have been some abnormalities with CC so far this year, so it is hard to ignore what we have seen. After listening to so many people tell me they thought that CC was hurt and just hiding it I decided to really examine his last start against the Orioles. Looking at the Orioles lineup it was unusual to see four of the seven left handed hitters gets hits on him when he was ahead of them in the count. Usually when CC is looking for that last strike he gets it.


It didn't help that Nick Markakis and Chris Davis put the finishing touches on him either. I think Markakis is always pesky anyway, but he looked a little too comfortable up at the plate. Davis also did some damage with his solo home run. Usually I don't stress too much about solo home runs, but this one the pitch was just right there for the taking. Are people reading into this too much?

There has been some talk about his velocity too. Some may think it is just part of the aftermath from his surgery. I'm not so sure I can share that opinion but it is an idea. A fastball that comes 89-91mph is not going to look different from anything that is off speed, and it is going to give hitters better odds. The velocity is key to giving hitters a different look at the plate and it will differentiate his pitches. I really think it is this combination that is causing opponents to get more hits off him. I could be wrong, but it is at least a theory.

So is there something wrong with CC? Are the Yankees hiding something? They could be. It certainly wouldn't be the first time. Right now, with all of the injuries we do have I am going to sit tight and continue to believe that he is ok because I really don't think I can take too much more bad news before I go crazy.




--Jeana Bellezza, BYB Writer and Editor
Twitter: @NyPrincessJ



 

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017