Tuesday, April 30, 2013

OUR NEW TERRIFIC DAVID PHELPS: MR. CONSISTENCY

What can I tell you- I am a sucker for good stories involving young players.  And I believe this story, as it continues to unfold its contents to us, is truly a gem.  The subject- David Edward Phelps, the 26-year-old, Missouri native.  Phelps is heating it up, which is critical for the Yankees.  The kid has the profile of the ideal baseball player- he's articulate, he's respectful, he's consistent, and he is a rising star.

The other evening when Ivan Nova suffered an injury, I was not mumbling "here we go again."  Instead, I anxiously awaited number 41 to trot in from the bull pen.  Now, let me speak for a moment about another 41, who I think is the greatest player to done that number- Tom Seaver!

There are a lot of similarities between the two pitchers and perhaps I am just a little bit too eager to compare; but why not!  Right-handed pitcher Tom Terrific, in his heyday was 6'1" weighing 195.  He came up in his early 20s, like Phelps, and he played for that other New York team in the early 1960s.  Tom was not only terrific, but he was also very articulate, respectful and consistent.  Lovable Tom was in fact the franchise of the New York Mets back in the late sixties, early seventies.  David Phelps is also a right-handed pitcher, 6'2" 200 pounds, lean and agile like Seaver.   He signed with the Yankees in his early twenties and carries many of the same ideal traits as Seaver.  By the way, Seaver was inducted into the Hall of Fame back in 1992.
Okay, I am off that soap box and onto why I think Phelps is the ideal baseball player.  He is most definitely articulate.  Hailing from 'Ol Notre Dame, the Fighting Irish alum is very lucid giving a keen perspective to listeners in interviews, savvy handling questions from the media and extremely cerebral.  In a post-game interview following Phelps's last appearance, suddenly filling in for the ailing Ivan Nova, he just summed up his courage and the "call to the bullpen" in a few very simple phrases, "You look at what our starters can do and what they've been able to do if they get the ball to the seventh inning. Our bullpen has really been taking over from there, and in the back of my mind that's what I was thinking. We got the lead and I was like alright just get the ball to Joba and let those guys take it from there."  He later stated that he felt he could have pitched longer and is up for the challenge, "I think I was up to 70-something pitches today and so it's not my decision, but if that's what they want me to do, yeah, I think I'll be ready." (Read HERE) He is not trying to be a stand-out, he is trying to do his job- making the task seem very 'underwhelming' to coin a word from Steven Covey, renown author of the popular book The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People.

Besides being articulate in his comments to the press, Phelps is most definitely respectful and even humble.  I can't always say that about other rookies.  I think Nationals' phenom Bryce Harper can benefit from a course in "humbition"- humble ambition.  Following an outing earlier in the month relieving Phil Hughes, Phelps stated, "I'm happy with where I'm at, just help this team in whatever role it may be. I'm not out here hoping our starters don't do well. I want to win games regardless of what my role is. I pull for those guys as hard as they pull for me."  (Read HERE) Respectful, dignified, and smooth- the young pitcher is wise despite his newness to the game and his years.

Where is Phelps headed?  Given the chance, the sky is the limit.  He is most certainly a rising star, someone we need to keep on the success radar.  He needs grooming, guidance and opportunities to succeed and even fail.  "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity," stated Albert Einstein.  He may have had some growing pains earlier in the month, but as we can see, he is overcoming them.  That's endurance, which frankly, is the cornerstone of consistency.

Phelps is one of the strongest, most critical members of this team.  He helps us win.  He is not afraid to come in when the bases are loaded, when we are at a deficit or even when the odds are against us.  Like Fran Cervelli, he is willing to do what it takes to win and give the team the much needed value of his talent.  I will take a whole pitching staff filled with the heart and consistency of Phelps.  He is a winner, from all angles and that's what we need to win ball games, consistently.



--Suzie Pinstripe, BYB Opinion Columnist
Twitter: @suzieprof




Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017