Thursday, April 18, 2013

I HAVE SOMETHING IN COMMON WITH DEREK JETER!

After years of thinking that Derek Jeter was just a superhero, and that I couldn't possibly relate to anything he does in his life, I have finally discovered something! I really DO have something in common with the captain. It may not be a world series ring, or the ability to make an incredible leaping throw, but we do travel in similar circles.
I remember when DJ3K was finally released on HBO, I was ecstatic. I couldn't wait to watch it. I didn't know HOW I was going to since I don't have HBO at home but I was going to find some way to watch it. It didn't take too long to figure out after I let my dad know about it. He mentioned that he had HBO and it was a done deal. I was excited. It doesn't take much to make me happy, clearly.

There is a part in the documentary where Jeter talks about his childhood and how his dad was a big Detroit Tigers fan. It was "uncool" to like the same team as his dad, or so he said. That led him to the Yankees. My story isn't exactly like that, but it is similar.

My dad is a fan of the hometown team. He will watch the Mets, the Yankees, (but he is more of a Mets fan, don't let him tell you differently!) and since Arizona is HIS home (not mine) he is also a Diamondbacks fan. Obviously, we have different feelings about 2001.
If you walked into my dad's garage you would see a poster of Curt Schilling and Randy Johnson. When we went to the 10year anniversary game at Chase field, he wore his old school colors Diamondbacks shirt and I was that fan who went into enemy territory wearing my Yankee gear.

Now that the Yankees and Diamondbacks are playing each other again, the stakes are high. I wish there was a "do-over" button to fix 2001 but since there isn't. Since the Diamondbacks and Yankees only play each other every few years, it's a big deal! Now we are talking about bragging rights. It's a new kind of Subway Series. I am representing the Bronx. I am that transplant New Yorker that lives thousands of miles away, but my heart still lives in New York. You can take the girl out of New York, but you can't take New York out of the girl. My dad says this is his home. He doesn't miss shoveling snow. He will take 8 months of summer where most days you feel like you are going to melt. He can handle the cacti and brown dirt and he can appreciate and follow his Diamondbacks.

Dad, I guess in this case....I am Derek Jeter. I cannot follow your Diamondbacks. You are Mr. Jeter and I understand your love for the Diamondbacks. I just hope you know that the stakes are high for me. Your Luis Gonzalez may have stumped my Mariano Rivera, but now you are in the Bronx again for a new series. Game on! I am pulling for a victory here.

Oh but, I can't forget to say this....thanks for recording DJ3K for me. Now, may the best team win!





--Jeana Bellezza, BYB Writer and EditorTwitter: @NyPrincessJ




Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017