Monday, March 11, 2013

"IT'S GONNA BE A LONG SEASON!"

I guess I would call this a follow up to my piece titled I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE.  Normally I'm psyched up around this time of year. Spring training has begun and that means my beloved Yankees start yet another season for the ultimate goal,  another World Series championship.  Sadly though, this season is starting to look like it may be a very long season, especially after a winter of doing absolutely nothing by the boys of Yankee brass. 

There are 2 good things. Derek Jeter & Mariano Rivera.  We have a healed Derek Jeter back at 100% and that's great.  Sure, some have stated that given his age and injury, he will never be the same. But my gut tells me if anyone can fully recover, Derek is the man who can and will. Also, the whole Mariano Rivera stuff is bittersweet. I believe this season, his last, he will be back at 100% too, but sadly for us fans, this season is the last we'll see the great Mo pitch.
Those injuries to Curtis Granderson, Mark Teixeira and Alex Rodriguez are killing us.  We lost Eric Chavez, Nick Swisher, Raul Ibanez and Russell Martin... I know, I know, we all know this. But what did we do to fill in those holes? We signed an aging Kevin Youkilis and Travis Hafner. I'm not too jazzed. 

I'm not sure Youk will be the surprise people are talking about and Travis Hafner is a DH... he won't be playing the field.  To all of that, I say this... give me a break.

Oh and let's not forget the signings of Chris Bootcheck and Dan Johnson. We released Jack Cust and Colin Curtis and Chris Dickerson is now with the Baltimore Orioles and all the others who were claimed and then released.  Yankeeland is in a tizzy. And just recently I was reading of a trade to get Garrett Jones and Casper Wells.  Again, how much is this really going to help this club?

(In Photo: Kyle Seager)
My suggestion is simple. Go after Chase Headley or even a Kyle Seager and of course BYB's brilliant idea to snag Giancarlo Stanton now! But no.  The boys won't even get Carlos LeeAubrey Huff might be available... and it's just mind numbing.  Enough already! I truly am sick of what has been done, or should I say, NOT been done this off season.
I've written, as well as BYB about bringing the kids up from the farm. Let's not forget, that's how we molding championship teams, starting with guys like Bernie Williams, Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada and Andy Pettitte. Have we forgotten? We need to  give the kids a chance.  Instead, we keep hearing that "they're not ready" or "not groomed enough."  I say, groomed for what?  Who's getting married here?  Can these youngsters be any worse then the nobodies we've already signed?

Yes, as a die hard 50-year Yankee fan, I am spoiled rotten After surviving those late 60's early 70's losing teams, I do expect a winning championship, caliber team every year and sadly, while not one pitch has been thrown in the regular season, I just don’t see this team winning 90 games or dare I say, even making it to the playoffs.

I hope I'm wrong, I do.  I hope this is a great Yankee season, but mentally, I am prepared for a long, aggravating season. Maybe... just maybe someone in management wakes up before it's too late.

Is it April 1st yet? Let's play ball already! Go Yankees!


 --Dave Goode, Die-hard Yankee fan
Interviewed for his 30 plus years experience as a vendor at Yankee Stadium
THE VENDOR FROM THE HOUSE THAT RUTH BUILT



Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017