Thursday, February 21, 2013

THE PARALLELS OF LIFE & BASEBALL

You’ve read here at Bleeding Yankee Blue how I see baseball and life as a parallel and I always have.  People can call me crazy, but that’s how I see it.  With every struggle there’s an achievement.  With every win there’s a loss and at the end of the day, you are surrounded by family, working together to have 1 common goal…to succeed, in life, in baseball.

I try to keep my kids grounded and I know many of you do the same.  If they’re good at a sport, I remind them that there will always be someone who may be better and we can’t be jealous. He'll need to "tip the cap" once in a while, because, my kid will be getting that same "tip of the cap" from another kid who's not as talented as he. That cycle goes on and on.  I teach them to congratulate a teammate. I teach to say “good job” because confidence in a clubhouse helps a team grow.  Same with life and family… it goes hand and hand. So what does this all mean you ask? Why am I boring you with this? Here's why...
(In Photo: Joey Moses)
My friend Joey wrote a truly inspirational post the other day on Facebook.  Sure, you may have read it and moved on with your day, but it’s something that is important to think about as you read it.  You remember Joey right? 

(In Photo: Joey & Charles Moses)
I had the honor of having a pint with he and his father Charles when they made a trip to New York last summer, from Australia. They came in to see the sights and to pick up their BleedingYankeeBlue.com shirts.  Hilarious... I told them I would be happy to mail them. Anyway, they are also true Yankee fans, if you can believe that. Read BYB, AUSTRALIA & THE BIG APPLEAnyway, check this out and think about it…
“This life is what we make it. Not matter what, we are going to mess it up sometimes, that's the harsh truth, but the best part is, we get to decide how we are going to mess it up.  Then there are friends. We have guy friends, we have girlfriends. But just remember, some come and some go. The ones that stay with you through everything,  they're your true best friends. Don’t let go of them. Also remember your sisters and your brothers make the best friends in the whole world. As for lovers, well, they'll come and go too with the best of them. And I hate to say it, but most of them, actually pretty much all of them are going to break your heart at one point in time. but you can't give up, because if you do, we'll never find your soul mate.  You'll never find that other half who makes you whole and that goes for everything. Just because you fail once, doesn't mean you're gonna fail at everything.  Keep trying, keep pushing, hold on, and always, always, always believe in yourself, because if you don't, then who is going to? So keep your head high, keep your chin up, and most importantly, above all else, keep smiling, because life's a beautiful thing and there's so much to smile about.”
Parallel’s between life and baseball? I’d say so:

 ...the ones that stay with you through everything”, wins and losses, “they’re you’re true best friends”, or, your teammates that you play with all season long.
Just because you fail once, doesn’t mean you’re gonna fail at everything…keep trying.  You think the Yankees just pack up and go home thinking it’s over after a tough loss?  Hell no.  That’s why Derek Jeter says “one game at a time," It's a 162 game season.  Failure makes you stronger.  I tell my kids that because if you lose, trust me, you don’t want that feeling again, and in turn, you try harder… that’s a baseball lesson, that’s a life lesson.  It’s Rudy kind of stuff… it’s Rocky…it's Vision Quest...


It’s the New York Yankees winning 27 championships and aiming to win 28. It’s you, determined to succeed in life.

We’re about to embark on the 2013 New York Yankees season.  This is inspirational and it’s a harsh reality all in one.  But if you think about what you can accomplish in life, take every emotion, put it in a blender and press the "on" button… it makes you, a man or woman capable of anything you want in life, but you need to try and work your ass off to accomplish that… sometimes alone, but always with a team, or a family.  

Parallels in baseball and life? Yeah… I’d say so.

Thanks to Joey Moses who opened some eyes today.  Many of us have a spring in their step today. Thanks.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017