Friday, February 8, 2013

RUSS CANZLER IS A COOL GUY

Russ Canzler will be my new Eli Whiteside.  He'll be someone I check in with throughout their 2013 season because they were a Yankee for 5 minutes. That's how I roll.  I didn't know much about Canzler until he came aboard and ... I still don't, but that being said, you have to give Canzler credit for being a good sport about being on several teams this offseason due to being DFA'ed and then being signed.  He wound up on the Baltimore Orioles.  We wrote about the ordeal in GUESS WHERE RUSS CANZLER JUST LANDED? for guidance on that.

MLB.com's Jordan Bastian interviewed Canzler about it all and he said this of the situation: "It's been fun...I was thinking about buying all the hats of the teams I've been on this winter."  

Bastian (full piece HERE) also has the full story about Canzler's short lived time as a Yankee writing:

"After signing free-agent pitcher Brett Myers, though, Cleveland once again tried to pass Canzler through waivers. This time around, the 26-year-old first baseman was claimed by the Yankees. New York had a need for a right-handed hitter, and Canzler seemed to be the type of player who might get a real shot at filling that role.

Playing in the Yankees' system seemed like a match made in baseball heaven, too. Canzler could train in Tampa near relatives and, if he did not make the Opening Day roster, he might've suited up for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. The Canzler's just moved into a house roughly a half hour from that Minor League stadium.

"We were all set," Canzler said. "We thought it worked out."



The Yanks then entered talks with Hafner about bringing the DH to the Bronx -- an idea that had Canzler excited. Last September, Hafner and Canzler were a few lockers apart, and the veteran did his part to make the first baseman feel at ease in the Majors.

"He was really nice to me, really nice to the younger guys," Canzler said. "He was kind of that calm presence that made us all feel comfortable and helped us enjoy our time."

When the Yankees signed Hafner, though, Canzler had a sudden realization.

"It hit me," he said. "I was like, 'Oh, wait. Uh oh. Wait a minute. We're at 40 on the roster again.'"


I really like this cat, I'm sorry it didn't work out for him in New York, but we'll run into him in Baltimore.

Just thought I'd share.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017