Thursday, December 20, 2012

TO PROTECT, SERVE & GIVE BACK THE YANKEE WAY

I'm at the age where I tear up if my kid looks at me a certain way.  That's what happens as I watch my children grow.  The past week has been strange for me, a lot of emotion and a lot of thinking.  Sandy Hook Elementary is always on my mind. 

You read about Victor Cruz here on Bleeding Yankee Blue in a piece titled WHEN MEN BECOME HEROES. The story brought me to tears. Now it happens again because of our captain, Derek Jeter and from a ton of other heroes, but more on that in a moment.
(In Photo: Victoria Soto)
The Los Angeles Times (HERE) reports: "... Derek Jeter placed a phone call to the mother of Victoria Soto, a first-grade teacher who was killed in the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School last week.

Jeter contacted the Soto family on the day of the teacher's funeral... In her eulogy Wednesday, Soto's love of the Yankees was mentioned...


...Soto's sister, Carlee, tweeted her appreciation for Jeter's gesture.

“Derek Jeter just called my mom!!!!! Thanks Vicki, she needs it thank you @Yankees this meant a lot to my mother and all of us...”


There are moments that you never forget as a human being. Some are tragedies and some are highlights or achievements. This story has both.  Derek Jeter is a leader and a captain for a reason.  There is nothing more sweet about a top celebrity taking a moment to reach out, not because they have to, but because they want to.  Derek Jeter did that and it was only a moment sure, but if it can help in the healing process... well, God bless the Soto family and let the healing begin.

Much like Jeter's phone call, I need to mention 1 more story about strength in numbers and the ultimate brotherhood in the United States. 

Firemen. They came from all over Connecticut and as far out as New York on Wednesday to honor little Daniel Barden.  Daniel, 7, wanted to be a firefighter when he grew up. He wanted to help others.
(In photo: Daniel Barden)
Those firefighters, police and military servicemen all showed up to Daniel's funeral, dressed in their best, to honor 7 year old Daniel, because one day he wanted to be like them.  I swear to God... if this doesn't bring a tear to your eyes... you need to get your head checked.  This is special beyond words, it truly is. 

I tip my cap to Derek Jeter and to all those servicemen who showed up to Daniel Barden's service. I wanted you all to read this, it really touched me.

Bravo ladies & gentlemen... bravo.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017