Monday, November 19, 2012

GREAT YANKEE MOMENTS OF 2012

There are so many moments that I absolutely loved about 2012 and the New York Yankees.  Some had nothing to do directly with the Yankees as individuals, like the Yankees beating the Baltimore Orioles for the winners of the American League division...as a team. And of course, what about Uncle Rico Bobby Valentine showing up in Boston and then destroying the team and being fired after only 1 season. I liked that.

In the end, the Yankees were knocked out of the playoffs once again by the Detroit Tigers, but we did smile a lot this season, when we cut through all the B.S. didn't we? Here is Bleeding Yankee Blue's top 10 of the best moments of 2012. Enjoy this...I did.

#10. NUNEZ NEEDS SOME PRACTICE

For me personally, it was a great moment for the Yankees.  They had finally reached a point where they opened their eyes and realized that Eduardo Nunez just couldn't field the baseball, and so, they sent him down to the minors for practice.  One problem, he jammed his thumb and never really got that practice he needed.  Maybe this winter he'll get some...I hate errors.

#9. THE COLLAPSE OF THE RED SOX

Obviously the Red Sox stinking up the joint needs to be on my list, but this #9 is twofold.  I loved that Bobby Valentine was exposed for not being a very good manager.  He's not a respected manager and strategically, he just shit the bed.  The Red Sox ended their season 69-93... much of that had to do with players just who wouldn't play for Bobby.  If you're a Yankee fan, you enjoyed this...


 #8. AROD's #5 ON THE ALL-TIME HOME RUN LIST

With all the hurry up and wait involving Alex Rodriguez this season, we really can't forget that Alex is one of the best hitters that we've ever seen in this era. Sure, he's struggled in 2012, but there is always that hope that he'll snap out of it in 2013.  Currently he has 647 home runs, #5 on the all-time Home Run list. Right in front of him is the great Willie Mays with 660.

#7. KURODA OPENED EYES

I was a Hiroki Kuroda doubter.  I didn't think his age and lousy career record could hack coming to the American League East and handle the pressure of pitching in the Bronx. I was wrong. I apologize. This season Kuroda led the team with 16 wins with Phil Hughes and hopefully we can resign this guy for another year...he's earned it and the fans fell in love.

 #6. MARIANO WAS BACK ON THE MOUND

Seeing Mariano Rivera back on the mound in Game 3 of the ALDS to throw out the first pitch was not only great to see, it filled Yankeeland with joy that maybe next year he'll be back. For me personally, it was sign that Mariano would be back in 2013.  I remember Twitter just blowing up that night!

 #5. JETER THE LEADER AIN'T DONE YET

The fact that Derek Jeter was considered finished after his .270 season a few years ago just seems like a stupid joke at this point.  Jeter had an amazing season this year, at the young age of 38.  A .316 average with 15 home runs and 58 RBIs.  Retiring never entered his mind...that's why we love the Captain.

 #4. ANDY PETTITTE RETURNS TO THE YANKEES


There was nothing better than hearing that Andy Pettitte was coming back.  I remember I was at work when a friend told me he heard it on the radio and I looked at my Twitter and it was all the talk.  His debut was great to see and while his freak ankle injury held him back this year, I predict Andy has unfinished business and will be back in 2013. I'm sure his wife likes having him out of the house.

#3.THE UNTUCK


Rafael Soriano wasn't the obvious closing option for the Yankees at first.  It appeared that David Robertson was.  Then, after DRob struggled in that closing role, they handed the ball to RaSo who needed something to call his own.  He quickly started closing games for the Yankees and the "Untuck" was born in the Bronx.  I'm not going to lie, I loved it and RaSo gained instant fans.

 #2. TRADING FOR ICHIRO


I was so happy when Ichiro Suzuki came to the New York Yankees.  It's easy to fall in love with this trade when you suggest it like I did in June. Yeah, that's right, I'm talking about myself again.  Hey, let me gloat, I don't get many of these.  Read ICHIRO IN PINSTRIPES? ANYTHING'S POSSIBLE. Yeah, it's true, for me personally, Ichrio coming to New York was a good thing and for the Yankees, it brought them a much needed energy. Another guy I'd love to have back in 2013.

1. IBANEZ COMES ALIVE! 


For Yankeeland, Raul Ibanez homering in a comeback against the Baltimore Orioles in the ALDS and hitting 2 in Game 1 of the ALDS was incredible.  Like Aaron Boone, Scott Brosius, Derek Jeter and Tino Martinez before him, it was the way the Yankees do it... a flair for the dramatic.

So there you have it, BYB's picks for the 10 best moments of 2012... and yeah, it's personal for me.  You guys may think of some that are better or different than mine...that's fine, when it comes to the Yankees, there are no wrong answers... that's how I see it anyway.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017