Friday, November 23, 2012

ANALYZING THE TROUT VS. CABRERA MVP VOTE

I want to preface this with saying that even though I am a Yankees fan, I am a baseball fan first and can recognize and appreciate the talent of players around the league. I say that because I recently had a conversation with a baseball “fan” that was spouting off all the reasons why I should be upset that Robinson Cano wasn’t named AL MVP.  I’ve said it a million times, and those readers of BYB that know me can attest to this, I love Cano.
He may very well be my favorite current Yankee. But, he didn’t deserve the MVP this season.

It’s funny, every year I feel like the runner up was stiffed out of the award. Like the guys who vote on the award are using some sort of bias to make sure that the guy who really deserves it, doesn’t win it. And, unlike most people, I don’t feel that way this season.


I like Mike Trout. He had an incredible 2012 season. Every time he stole a home run, I sang his praise. He led the league in stolen bases and runs. His talent is undeniable. If he continues to play like he did this season, there is no doubt that an MVP award will be in his future. However, Miguel Cabrera deserved it more than anyone in the league.
C’mon, you don’t win the Triple Crown by having an average season. The last hitter to win it was Carl Yastrzemski in 1967. That goes to show you how difficult it really is to accomplish.

CBS Sports posted a well thought out argument about why Trout deserved to win the MVP, read HERE. One of the arguments they presented was that Mike Trout’s rookie season has been unmatched since Shoeless Joe Jackson in 1911.
I will give anyone who makes that argument some points towards their case. However, most other cases that can be made for Trout can easily be counter argued. For example, Trout had more runs scored then Cabrera. That’s wonderful, but that means that someone else was driving in those runs. Getting on base is great, but getting runners in to score is even better, in my opinion. Feel free to disagree, but I will take Cabrera’s 139 RBI’s to Trout’s 83.
I could offer a rebuttal for all pro-Trout arguments but won’t. The MVP run was tight between these two this season, and I understand why. Like I said before, Trout had an incredible season. But Miguel Cabrera’s season was just slightly better and he rightfully won the MVP. Trout didn’t get stiffed out of the award. He lost it by a hair’s breath but lost nonetheless. I like Trout, though. I look forward to watching him play yet another phenomenal season and hopefully make another chase for the MVP.


--Erica Morales, BYB Writer
Twitter: @e_morales1804



Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017