Wednesday, October 3, 2012

YANKEES MISSION: WIN!

If you've watched Rocky like I've watched Rocky over the years, you know that there's always a happy ending. You root for the guy because you believe in the character, the same way you would if you were watching Rudy or Vision Quest (click on those movies, great videos).  There is something glorious about looking at a man, a woman or a team and seeing the heart and pride they have. And you know that they know they can do anything they want to in life. 
Jorge Posada is a guy I constantly bring up when I discuss this topic because quite simply; When you looked at Jorge play the game, when you looked into his eyes, you could see it in his face.  He knew he had to do his best, for himself, for his team and for the fans and even after baseball, he's probably the same way, as a husband and father. You have to love and respect that. 

I feel like more times than not, my Yankees please me the same way.
 

Sure this Yankee team has had it's struggles, it's injuries, it's criticisms, but through all of it, they had their eye on the prize.  Win. Look, I'm hard on my Yankees and that's because I'm a child of the Steinbrenner era.  I believe winning should happen all the time and if not, well, you best die trying.  That's always been the Yankee way and for all you kids who started following the Yankees in 1996, you have no idea what loss is, no offense. There used to be some really bad Yankee teams before you were truly alive and winning.  Yet, through all of it, as a Yankee fan, you stick around, you watch every pitch and you hope they turn it around...someday.  This year the Baltimore Orioles believe.  The Yankees haven't seen this division look like this in years, but they haven't lost faith in themselves.
It was crystal clear to me last night when Francisco Cervelli still managed to fist pump in the 12th as he caught Derek Lowe, even though, he's been pushed aside by the organization.  It was crystal clear to me when Raul Ibanez came in and put age aside and just did what was asked of him.  These are champions.  These are my Yankees.
Derek Jeter is a hero of mine.  It's sounds ridiculous to have a hero younger than you, someone who doesn't have the years perhaps, but he is my hero.  A role model and leader and someone who has accomplished so much in this game with this team.  Jeter is someone who has been there in every play this season. Why? Because it's expected.  Trust me, you won't know how lucky you are to witness his playing ability until he finally hangs it up. Enjoy every moment while you can.

Tonight is simple.  We need to go out and win.  This isn't about the Orioles, this is about us now.  We need to suit up early, focus and concentrate on us.  We make our own fate.  Sure, I'd love to see the Tampa Bay Rays tee off on the O's pitching tonight, but we can't worry about that. We need to worry about us, as a team, as fans.  So I say to the fans, put on your caps tonight, your jerseys and get the kids around the TV, because despite the struggles all season, we're still in it and tonight, if we win that's all that matters.

Finally, to my Yankees... you know my relationship with you all these years.  You know I've sat up throw huge victories and heartbreak.  I've watched Reggie Jackson crank out 3, I've been there when Bucky Dent beat the Red Sox and I even thought Ichiro Suzuki would be a perfect fit for your ball club (HERE).  I've started a blog because of you.  I've purchased your merchandise and preached the good word of Yankee baseball across the globe. Now, with 1 game to go in the 2012 season.... there's 1 thing I want you to do for me.... WIN!

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017