Thursday, October 25, 2012

WHAT TO DO WITH A BUNCH OF YANKEE BUMS

Calm down... they're not all bums... relax, I'm joking.

So it’s been a week since the slow torture of the ALCS concluded. And with everyone calling for Alex Rodriguez’s head, lets take a look at the players who can actually be given their walking papers. Before I do, be sure to check out Will Cohen’s BYB piece on the Yankee free agents titled THE YANKEES & THE FREE AGENT RACE. I wanted to give my 2 sense too… Will’s nicer than me though for sure.
Nick Swisher: Swish had a great run and was a fan favorite until about a week ago. It’s also no secret he was looking to cash in on his success in pinstripes. It’s no secret he’s looking for something that’ll pay him $15m/year. I’m not sure he’s worth that and with the Steinbrenner’s looking to slash payroll that rate is way too steep for an average right-fielder. I say buh-bye.

Ichiro Suzuki: Ichiro was a great acquisition.  His arrival in the Bronx seemed to rejuvenate his career and he made it clear he liked being a Yankee and the Yankee way. I know he’s old, but the Yanks should do whatever they can to re-sign this guy. They better act quick and perhaps get the home-town discount.
Hiroki Kuroda & Andy Pettitte:  Pitching! Both guys pitched well this year. Of course Pettitte’s injury left us with a small sample, but both were decent 2 & 3 starters. However, in both cases I’m not sure it’s a matter of the Yankees wanting them back. I think if both players expressed interest in coming back, Brian Cashman would be obliged. We’ll know about Andy Pettitte soon, he’s thinking about it…again. My guess is his wife wants him out of the house and he’ll be back… we shall see!

Mariano Rivera: Rivera was supposed to hang it up after this year, but then he went and blew out his knee and was carted off the field. Every man wants to end on his own terms and he may be the greatest Yankee EVER. Mo deserves the Chipper Jones style farewell tour. I can’t imagine he doesn’t come back.

Freddy Garcia: GONE

Andruw Jones: Buh- Bye…seriously, Buh-Bye.  I hear you want 4 more years Andruw, try an independent league…the Newark Bears would love you.

Derek Lowe: No Thanks. He did what he could but I believe Lowe wants to be a starter somewhere before he can be a reliever.  Let him try, we don’t need him anyway.

Eric Chavez: He’s injury prone but a great bench player. He said last year it was the Yankees or retirement; I’m guessing the same holds true again. I’d bring him back if the price is right.
Raul Ibanez: The new hero is obviously near the end. Would he be willing to come back on the cheap and try to relive his Aaron Boone heroics? He had a decent year both at the plate and filled in when necessary in the field. I’d bring him back simply to say “thank you” for being the only offensive bright spot in what was a dismal post season.

Russell Martin: I’m on the fence with this one. All of the pitchers rave about Martin and his game calling, but he’s been very lackluster with the bat. Maybe after being spoiled by Jorge Posada for all those years I expected my catcher to be a decent hitter. If they let Martin go, what options are there? Austin Romine doesn’t seem to be ready yet. The Yanks didn’t show much confidence in Francisco Cervelli, in fact, I don’t think they like him, that’s my opinion. Free Agent options are Mike Napoli, Brian McCann, and Kelly Shoppach. McCann is the best of the bunch but he just underwent shoulder surgery and is out 4-6 months. Maybe we’ll get to see Russell’s muscles again in 2013.

Robinson Cano & Curtis Granderson: Club Options. Robbie Cano is looking for serious superstar money. But with the Yanks holding his 2013 option of $14m, they’d be stupid not to pick it up and hopefully negotiate an extension at a cheaper rate than if he were an all-out Free Agent. Unfortunately in this day it only takes 1 GM with the threat of big wallet to raise the market value. This is why Cashman would be re-miss to not cut a deal before the price skyrockets. Granderson, on the other hand, has a $13 million option with a $2 million buyout. I know he hit 43 home runs this season but he also struck out 195 times and only hit .232. I think the Yanks should buy out his contract and renegotiate a longer deal at a lower rate per year. You might think I’m contradicting myself, but Granderson is still very valuable in the field and dangerous near the bottom of the lineup.


Rafael Soriano: Soriano is set to make $14 million in 2013 by staying with the Yanks for 2013 or can take $1.5 million and shop his wares elsewhere. Clearly with the injury to Rivera, Soriano’s role was invaluable. Does Soriano want to be relegated to setup role again where he struggled or does he want to continue being a closer elsewhere? My gut feeling is that Soriano is gone. I’m sure I’ve blasted him in this space, but when it counted, he was there and I thank him for his service.



--Lem Allen, BYB Contributor
Email me at: bybcurmudgeon@gmail.com



Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017