Saturday, October 13, 2012

THE AROD STORIES NO YANKEE FAN SHOULD READ

Look, I'm not a mean person, but I read the press sometimes and I laugh. That in no way makes me superior. I've told you time and time again that I just speak my mind, give you my opinion and I'm one of many out there, I'm just having fun...I'm a Yankee fan bringing you the side that doesn't get talked about, and we're slanted and biased and you know what? I'm good with that.
But when I read certain pieces, I can't believe it. When it comes to Alex Rodriguez, the press tries to "out-do" each other, it makes me sick. At the end of the day, Alex is a human being and sure, he may be alittle quirky when it comes to speaking with the media, but he's still a person that deserves alittle respect...that's not an Alex thing, that's a life thing.  Make sense yet? Maybe not... so keep reading.

Dave D'Alessandro wrote a piece titled Alex Rodriguez not so happy to be pinch-hit for this time as Yankees fall to Orioles.  Sure, the title is provocative enough, I mean, ARod was a lightening rod this week. But let's be honest, Alex Rodriguez, a guy I really like and always have, has not produced.  I see this headline and I immediately think "What the hell do I care if Alex is "not so happy" about being pinch hit for? It not only isn't his decision, it's the managers and if Girardi needs to make a move, he needs to then."
Now in fairness, D'Alessandro breaks down Alex and his at bats against Darren O'Day, who no doubt owned him, but there were plenty of nuggets D'Alessandro could have added to his piece, but didn't. For instance, the fact that ARod is a team player and how in the 24 hours since Raul Ibanez made his history 2 home run journey to beat the O's, everyone of Alex's teammates that were interviewed complimented Alex on his "hard work" and willingness to give up his spot to help the team...none of that was written about, yet, for a Yankee fan, that's really the story of the ALDS after Raul did his thing.
How about this? How about the human side of Alex? ESPN's Wally Matthews and Andrew Marchand got to the heart of the matter HERE, quoting Alex: "...I keep telling you guys, this is not a story about one person, this is about a team. We have some unfinished business. Our objective is to win one game and keep this thing moving...Without question... As you know, with 27 outs a lot can happen. I'll be ready from the first inning on."  Yup, that came from Alex before Game 5.  A team player, yet, the only nugget that was honed in on in the D'Alessandro piece was that Alex wasn't happy.  It's boring, of course he's unhappy...how about we humanize Alex in the press for a change?
But I'm not about to truly compliment Matthews and Marchand so fast.  I was disappointed with a Rapid Reaction piece they did from October 8th, where the headline in one of the nuggets was "KKK-Rod." Now look, I get what they were trying to do, but are you freaking kidding me ESPN? How disrespectful and insensitive are you? Use your head.  ESPN must have felt the heat, because they changed the headline and ignored the criticism, but we captured it:

This is Sad. HERE is the corrected post.

Look, I'm not the media police and no, I'm not officially blasting Dave D'Alessandro. He does a good job for the Star Ledger. I just get sick and tired of the negative press for Alex. That KKK-Rod headline is disgraceful and ESPN must have lost it's mind and the best part is, the mainstream press didn't call out ESPN...the blogs did and I tip my cap to them, good work!

Bottom line, as a fan, Joe Girardi and the New York Yankees did what they needed to do to win Game 5.  Alex wasn't in their plans, everyone, including Alex could agree on that. But there are a few other parts to this; As a fan, I don't care about a player's "feelings" when they don't produce and complain about not being in the lineup, and I sure as hell don't care to read about it, especially when there's actually more to the story that they conveniently left out. 

I do care about how these media outlets kill Alex Rodriguez in the press all day long without any regard for the toll it takes on ones self.  I commend Alex for staying calm since he came to New York, anyone else would go nuts... I know I would.  It's almost unfair at this point, all this piling on.

So what's my hope? I hope Alex comes to the plate in the ALCS and shuts these guys up, because enough's enough.

Enjoy your Saturday, I look forward to tonight.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017