Saturday, October 27, 2012

NUNEZ IS CASHMAN'S SHORTSTOP MISTAKE

On Ian O'Connor's ESPN's Radio Show the other day, Brian Cashman made it clear that the future for Eduardo Nunez on the Yankees is shortstop. I spit out my afternoon coffee.
Cash said "I look at Nunez and his value as a shortstop...I don't look at Nunez being valuable in an everyday role other than shortstop, and we have a shortstop. In terms of everyday status for Nuney, I don't see one as long as Derek Jeter is sitting there... All the calls of putting him in left field, I don't understand." Read the full piece HERE.

All those "calls" for Nuney in the outfield are from Bleeding Yankee Blue. You're welcome.  The fact that Nunez is probably the future shortstop of hte New York Yankees is absolutely ridiculous. Nunez isn't an infielder and if he truly is, well then, he sucks. Be honest Cash, you have to be willing to unload this guy for pitching right? Or maybe you're just making an argument for Nunez so he becomes a trading chip for another team? Why else would you be "faking it?" That guy can't command an infield and you need that after Jeter leaves.
Eduardo Nunez is and should be a left fielder. I wrote that in WHY NOT MAKE NUNEZ AN OUTFIELDER? and it makes perfect sense.  There are many reasons why, but with his speed, he could adapt well and over time learn to catch a fly ball rather than grounders in one of the most important positions in the infield.  Can you imagine Derek Jeter retiring and Nunez coming in coming from a fan perspective? What a downgrade. I love Cashman but he's got this wrong.
(In Photo: Eduardo Nunez)
In 112 games, he made 20 errors in 2011 and in 2012, he made a share of them again, including a few that were costly...read HERE.  He probably would have made more if his thumb wasn't giving him so much trouble for half of his minor league season, read HERE. But let's not forget, the Yankees sent Nuney down to the minors to practice. Clearly his fielding is a big concern or the Yankees wouldn't have done that.

I love his bat, I love his speed, but as I suggested this summer, let him adapt to left field, you can hide him there and keep working with him in the meantime. Then, we can try to find our next shortstop after Jeter retires. For my money, it's not Nunez.
(In Photo: Tony Fernandez)
To tell you the truth, I am so down on Nuney manning Short, I'd even pay Tony Fernandez a few bucks to come out of retirement, year's later...that's how much I hate this idea.

 Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017