Wednesday, September 19, 2012

PETTITTE & YANKEES ARE A-O-K IN GAME 1

It was a beautiful day in the Bronx for so many reasons today. There was an energy because it was gorgeous out, and Andy Pettitte was on the mound and I have to tell you, he looked like he never left. Sure a few walks and I'm sure a few butterflies but he knew his role today, pitch and get the team rolling. He did that. Pettitte went 5 innings and 70 pitches, he allowed 4 hits and walked 2.

The Yankees had a 3 run lead going into the 8th, but another struggle by David Robertson narrowed it to 3-2. More on that in a moment.  Ichiro Suzuki  and Nick Swisher led off the game with singles, and then Robinson Cano had a double to drive in the first run. The Yanks would eventually get 2 more in that inning.

I have to say, while my Captain Derek Jeter does one of the most amazing jobs leading off for the Yankees, I love Ichiro in that spot as well. He may to be in his upper 30's but I'll take that bat there. He does what he needs to to get on base. Gotta love it.
Derek Lowe came in, Boone Logan followed and Girardi used a total of 6 relievers.  Things got alittle nerve-racking when DRob came in. As Steven Miller of MLB.com has it HERE, "The win didn't come easily, as David Robertson surrendered four hits in Toronto's two-run eighth inning and needed Rafael Soriano to induce an inning-ending lineout to Ichiro Suzuki to leave the bases loaded."

And while we're on that, let me sound off on something that's bothering me, and let me get it off my chest and then we'll move on. The Houdini act of Dave Robertson is old now. I liked it early on, but as a fan in September, watching a relief pitcher throwing that many pitches who's job it is to shut down the competition and bridge to RaSo is no longer acceptable. Pound the strike zone! Make the hitters try to hit it! Don't nibble, pitch.  I have no sympathy for a pitcher that works them self into trouble but can't work them self out of trouble. Luckily someone like David will own his mistakes and that's part of what a team is. I like that, I respect it, but Girardi had t oget DRob out of there and went to Soriano who finished the game out with his world famous Untuck... and Yankeeland is happy again. But seriously, go in hard DRob and pitch! OK, I'm done.

Final Score: Yankees 4 - Blue Jays 2

Over all, I'm really happy right now. I feel like a hot little potato right now... and I really don't know what that means...I think I saw it in Zoolander. In other words... there's a spring in my step. The Yankees seem to have found that lost energy and I hope and pray as a true fan of this team that the Yankees are back!  The second game is happening as we speak. David Phelps is on the mound right now.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017