Monday, September 10, 2012

5 WAYS TO GET THE YANKEES ROLLING IN THE AL EAST


Sure, right about now, the last thing I want to do is give you a wish list for what my New York Yankees need to do to win.  The slump we were in last week was absolutely painful, but I feel like we may have left it behind after our 13-3 win against the Orioles yesterday.  Truth be told, when we lose, the last thing I want to do is write.  Neither do our BYB writers, but we’re doing the best we can and we appreciate you still reading.  Look, my ideas are simple thinking, because when you have nothing, any glimmer of hope works…humor me.

Andy Pettitte knows the Fall: Look, it’s my theory that when pitchers hurt their legs, they are never the same pitcher they were before the injury.  Do I have proof? No, but think about it. Pitchers needs their legs to throw, it’s all about leg and body strength.  Joba Chamberlain has the speed after Tommy John Surgery, but it took several weeks for him to harness that control. Yesterday in Baltimore, he struck out 4 in his best performance since he's been back.  I hope it sticks.  I worry about leg injuries though. Look at someone like Hughes. Phil Hughes has not been the Phil Hughes we thought he’d be and I will never forget that injury in Texas during his no hitter attempt in 2007, read HERE.  I often wonder if he would have been the guy the Yankees thought he’d be if he didn’t hurt his leg. We’ll never know. Look at Chien-Ming Wang, another pitcher with alot of potential and now that seems to be over.  And then there's Andy Pettitte who fractured his ankle this season. Yes, it's true... I worry about him.  Sure, Andy is the man and as tough as anyone, but there is a very big chance he won’t have the same control or power behind his arm when he comes back.  If he isn’t the same guy, if he doesn’t “have it”, we’re doomed. Without Andy, there is no championship run. But if Andy is Andy, we have a big chance.
Uncle Hank needs to speak: Hank Steinbrenner may need to say something so ridiculous to the media that Yankeeland laughs off this frustrating slump.  It's funny, in the past when the Yankees were stuck in a losing streak, Hank would buy his pack of Marlboro's, get into his Bonneville and drive over to a camera at Yankee stadium.  Then, like a champ and under-seasoned television personality, he would say something like “If Jeter would just lead us better, we’d be in better shape right now.” That would of course then be the first question from members of the press to Jeter himself. Jeter would smirk and say “What do you want me to say? We’re not winning and we need to.  Then, the Steinbrenner family would lore Hank back into his cage with a carton of Reds and close the gate. Mission Accomplished…Hank Steinbrenner speaking out sometimes lights a fire under the Yankees asses...and all is well.

Less tampering, more baseball: Joe Girardi tends to over think the bullpen and it's my estimation that if he just let things happen, and not over-tinker, we could get this bullpen in a pretty nice rhythm again.  I believe Joba Chamberlain's rush back to the majors put the pen in a tail spin several weeks ago, I really do.  Sometimes when things are working well, it's not the best policy to throw a wrench in it.  Joba was the wrench, but now things are calming down.  I believe Joba will be stable now and that in turn will get the pen rolling tough again.


Alex Rodriguez & Mark Teixeira: They are the key and you can see it already with Alex.  I never expected Alex to come back with such passion and momentum so quickly, but it's happened and what you're seeing now is everyone around Alex has come alive as well. Mark Teixeira is hurting right now, but I know he'll be a factor when he finally returns too. When will that be? I doubt the Boston series, but maybe by the end of the week. Bottom line, these guys back to the lineup is the best damn thing to happen to the Yankees right now.
Jeter the leader: I don't need to say anymore.  Derek Jeter will and has been the biggest factor for this Yankees team.  He's been there before, he knows the game, he understands the pride and work that needs to go into this quest for 28.  He will no doubt provide leadership and this team will follow and fall into place.  He wows me every day and this season, he's played excellent baseball, both offensively and defensively.  You gotta love it.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017