Sunday, June 24, 2012

THE COMING OF MELKY CABRERA


Melky Cabrera has found his stride in San Francisco and I could not be happier for him.  It took alittle while, but he’s found focus, he clearly likes to play there and some really good news came out yesterday involving the National League voting.  Melky moved into third place on the NL outfielders list and pulled ahead of Ryan Braun.  Wow.  You have to wonder if that happened because Melky is having a nice season or is it a combination of that and a different fan attitude toward Ryan Braun.

 Braun, once a huge fan favorite has found critics after that whole positive testing mess.  Bottom line, he’s clear but it proves that everyone is under a microscope and I often wonder about that.  That being said, I wish Braun well. I like Braun alot, plus, things could change and Braun could pull ahead of Melky again...it's baseball.

But back to Melky for a second.  This season Melky is batting .355, he has 102 hits, 6 homers, 7 triples, 35 RBIs and 49 R. According to a great piece by Joel Sherman (HERE) in the New York Post, Kevin Long was quoted as saying that if Melky had that kind of focus in the Bronx, he’d still be a Yankees. 

 “If Melky committed himself to the Yankees as he does now, he would still be a Yankee...And he would say the same thing. He made himself tradeable then.”

Damn, that's nice to see and it's always great when we have our thoughts confirmed.  It’s true, Melky would still be in New York if he didn’t enjoy being a Yankee as much as he did at such a young age. It was always my opinion that the guy was enjoying things alittle too much and it’s clear to me, once Melky was sent packing in that trade to bring Javy Vasquez to the Yankees for round 2, I felt bad for Melky because I knew his potential, but I also realized it was the best thing for Melky and Robinson Cano, his best buddy to be separated.  Well, as you know, Cano became an overnight sensation, a leader, maybe even a future Captain of the Yankees and Melky has finally gotten settled in San Francisco and is definitely delivering.  That, my friends, is progress in one’s career.

Because of Melky’s great season, I often wonder if the Yankees would ever try and bring Melky back to the Bronx.  I am pretty confident Nick Swisher is going to want to  test the Free Agent market for his first time and I would almost bet that he leaves the Bronx, as sad as that is.  Then the question becomes, what outfielder is available and can we get them at a cheaper price? Hmm... Melky please? 

 ORDER A BYB SHIRT NOW, DROB WEARS ONE! Also, Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017