Friday, May 25, 2012

WHY THE YANKEES AREN'T FOR SALE SILLY...

I love this story.  I do. I really do.  No, not the part about the Yankees selling the team (Read HERE). No, I like the part where the actual journalists “broke” a story about something that apparently wasn't true and then it took Major League Baseball to come out and say the whole thing was absolute bologna.  I'm surprised at Bill Madden by the way, he's one of the writers associated with this piece and I love the guy. It's just disappointing.

It's funny, so many times there are writers out there that take shots at bloggers for "trying" to be relevant.  These are the same people that when I have an actual question and I see a writer's on Twitter, I ask them and they ignore me like they're the King and I’m a peasant.  You know us, you come to Bleeding Yankee Blue because we have fun, we give good information and we don't take ourselves to seriously, so this flop of a story is a victory.... Blogs 1 – Journalists 0.

The irony here is even when I reported this story on Bleeding Yankee Blue HERE, this morning, I felt weird about it.  Now, I never for one second thought it was wrong, but it did cross my mind that the idea of “selling the Yankees” may have been a misunderstanding.  That being said, the Yankees have been part of the Steinbrenner's family since the 70’s. 
Sure, they could 1 day decide that enough was enough, but I suspect the Yankees and the Brother’s Steinbrenner will be together for a while…until Derek Jeter buys the Yankees of course.  That’s not a news story, that’s a guess.

It was a fun day on Twitter though with the “Yankees for sale” story.  Many wanted to just pool their money together and buy the Yankees.  I think we may have come up with $57 bucks, but the point was, the story…or rumor… got people talking.  In the end, Hal Steinbrenner called the story: "complete fiction."

Here’s what Major League Baseball said:

“Major League Baseball has received no indications from any representatives of the New York Yankees or anyone else that the Club is for sale.”

I’ve been a fan of the Yankees since I was a little kid.  I honestly don’t remember Steinbrenner NOT owning the team. There were so many great memories of the Boss and the revolving door of managers, the bad trades and yes... the Championships.  With Steinbrenner dying in 2010, it just made sense that the Steinbrenner family would just take over and sure, while you never know when enough’s enough for the family and their team, you need to just assume the family would continue the job their dad did for so many years.  It just makes sense.
So yeah, I think by now it’s safe to confirm the Yankees are not being sold and yes, while everyone had a lot to say about the story today, I wonder where Michael O'Keefe and Bill Maddon are right now and I wonder where their "sources" are as well.  Either way, it's ironic that journalists are journalists and bloggers are the ones that are irresponsible.... yeah, I'm scratching my head.

ORDER A BYB SHIRT NOW, DROB WEARS ONE! Also, Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017