Sunday, March 4, 2012

WHY YOU CAN'T THINK...JUST DO!

"Don't think...That's when you're at your best."
-- Curtis Granderson on advice from Yogi Berra

Pete Caldera strikes again has a terrific article in today's Bergen Record and it's something that my wife and I have been using as a formula in life as well raising our kids. You see Curtis Granderson's quote above right? Well, we tend to use the quote "Don't think...do," but the reality is, it all goes back to accomplishing your goals in life.

But back to Caldera's piece and you can read it HERE. In it, Granderson talks about Yogi Berra, a Yankee legend breaking his chops telling Granderson to stop thinking when he goes up to the plate and just "swing the bat." Granderson said:

"Yogi was all over me because I was taking a lot of pitches...He goes, 'Go up there and swing the bat." Clearly, you have to love Yogi. Those words catapulted Granderson into one of the hottest streaks in baseball, hence Grandy's been on a tear and has no signs of letting up. I guess sometimes you need a Yankee icon to set you straight.But it's more than just hitting as I said before. Sure, you need a strategy going in, but once you're there, be it at the plate, in the field, pitching or even life, you need to focus on your craft "trust your stuff" so to speak and just do it! I'm no Dali Lama, I'm just preaching common sense. That common sense may have helped someone like AJ Burnett who clearly lost his way... pitching well one moment and then he'd let up 2 hits and it would become a 4 run deficit. Suddenly for someone like him, he thought too much about what was happening and then it all fell apart.

Confidence is the key... in everything. I wrote about that a long time ago when this blog was created. Read an oldie but goodie titled WHY CONFIDENCE IS KEY. If you go up with a game plan and "just do", most likely you feel invincible and almost always, you will win. If you don't believe me, just check in with Yogi Berra, one of the greatest of the game. No, he wasn't 6' 2", and no he wasn't the best looking guy in the world, but he played hard as hell every time he was out there. 15 All Star nods, 3 MVP's and 10 World Series Championship rings later, I think I would trust Yogi's advice...what about you?

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and look for the hashtag #BYB. Also, join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017