Thursday, February 16, 2012

WHY I'M WORRIED THE YANKEE OUTFIELD COULD CHANGE

I don’t know why, but my guts acting up again. I have this weird feeling something is about to take place in Yankeeland and it doesn’t involve pitching at all, it involves our outfield. I know, I know… crazy.

It seems that every time one of these foreign players becomes available and then one gets snatched up, the most recent being Yoennis Cespedes to the A’s, a new race emerges. Now comes word that several teams are in on Jorge Soler, read HERE, including the New York Yankees and the Philadelphia Phillies (read HERE). Sure, it's my opinion that if the Yankees were to snag this 19 year old outfielder, it would only stem from any money they would get from unloading AJ Burnett, right? I mean, they've been complaining that they have no money... do they have a secret stash for someone like Soler though? And if they do, wouldn't it make sense to have Soler play with the big team and not in the minors, especially because his talent is supposed to be so great? I don't know, I'm asking.

Look, I love our outfield right now, but sometimes when a talent like Soler comes along, you need to try to fit him into the puzzle. No doubt, many were down on Nick Swisher for his awful playoff run, but guess what, many Yankees sucked in the playoffs in 2011. You can’t put all the blame on Swish, he’s literally become the heart of the Yankees. Who else can play for the Yankees, hit the town with his gorgeous wife Joanna Garcia and fly over the Afghanistan to thank the troops for their service and still promote Swish’s Wishes in our interview with him (Read EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: NICK SWISHER.)

My point is, the guy is literally the Bronx Elvis. Brett Gardner and Curtis Granderson had proved a lot this past year as well and they are all so damn likable, plus their talent is truly blossoming. The point is, the Yankee outfield is set, so bringing in a Jorge Soler type seems unusual. If the hype is true about Jorge Soler, he's a talent that doesn’t come along too often. So do the Yankees go for it with whatever money they "don't" have, or do they pass and worry that the Red Sox could get him. It's a good question, I'm not sure I know the answer.

To be honest, if the Yankees were truly "in" on Jorge Soler and snagged him, I would suggest maybe a platoon situation could take place after a short stint in Scranton. Or maybe that's not in the cards are all because of his age. Maybe the Yankee outfield is set right now and the future outfield will contain he and Mason Williams in 2014.

Look, this is my opinion, you have yours and you should comment and tell me about it. Bottom line though, something’s going to happen with the Yankee outfield, be it now or in the very near future... I just feel it. I know it’s crowded out there already, even with guys like Andruw Jones and believe me, I don't want to break up the band of GGS. But the Soler rumors are interesting to say the least... and I'm very curious as to what will happen. How about you?

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

1 comment:

  1. I believe he is the type of player Cashman would spend money for. I don't believe he plays in the majors right off the bat. He would have to be crushing the ball to be called up
    in may or june. Swisher is gone after this year I think that decision has already been made so trading him can happen now or at the deadline if Soler is ready and a Yankee.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017