Monday, August 1, 2011

WHY EVERYONE LOVES A WINNER

Recently I returned from a family vacation in Central Florida. The extended family was there. Now my brother-in-law is a Red Sox fan. One evening, on our way back to the hotel he says, “Hey, do you notice a lot of people wearing Boston hats?” Now, me being the observant person that I am, I said, “Yes, the Red Sox have become the Braves of the ‘90s”.

The look on his face was one of both shock and revelation. Could it be? Did he just realize there are fraudulent fans in evil Red Sox Nation?But here it is, over the last 8 years the Red Sox have been good, real good. They won a few championships and have become more than just that cursed team in the old stadium with the big wall. Everybody loves a winner and wants to be associated with one. Why do you think the Yankees are a marketing juggernaut?

The Yanks dominated on the field in the late 90's. They made it to the World Series 5 times in 6 years and won 4 of them. How does this look to Pirates fans? The Pirates haven’t had a winning season in like 10 years?

Here’s your history lesson. Before the Yankees domination, it was the Braves. Atlanta was in the NLCS every year in the early 90s. The Yankees were terrible back in those days. I was born in 1979.

(In Photo: Claudell Washington 1988, in front of empty Yankee Stadium seats)

Up until 1995, my only childhood memories of the Yankees were of an empty stadium and being horrible every year. The low point may have been 1993, I admit I broke down and bought a Braves cap. I was tired of my team losing everyday. I was tired of being ridiculed by Mets fans at school. I put on my bright new Braves cap and felt like a winner. It felt great. I had confidence, I had swagger….. I then burnt that Braves hat during the ‘96 World Series.

But back to now. The Yankees have become a worldwide marketing machine. Everyone knows the Yankees from Papua New Guinea to Siberia.

But look around, especially outside of New York, that ugly blue hat with the red “B” on it is everywhere. Just part of the New York/Boston rivalry.

Well Yanks... let's change that again, shall we?



-- Lem Allen, BYB Freelance Writer

bybcurmudgeon@gmail.com


Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017