Friday, June 3, 2011

WHY GAMMONS IS OVERRATED


This isn’t a Yankee thing. This is a WTF thing. I’m sorry, I take issue with Peter Gammons. Look, I know this guy is a Hall of Famer, but let’s be honest, when I listen to Peter Gammons, I'm not so sure I'm learning anything new and I know many of you aren't either.

On May 31st, Gammons went on the Dan Patrick Show. Now, I love the Dan Patrick Show. It's so much fun and I learn a ton of stuff about baseball and a lot of different sports, plus, I laugh. But I have to tell you, I got alittle aggravated. They were talking about Toronto's Jose Bautista
with Gammons when suddenly Peter told Dan that years ago Dale Sveum told him that Bautista was going to be something special and that he hates when people accuse Bautista of PEDs. Here is the transcript of that:"There is suspicion and I find it unfair. I've heard people on the radio and I've read people that don't believe it.... now I can say this, about 6 or 7 years ago, Dale Sveum was a coach with the Red Sox and he managed Bautista. And he said 'You know, something's gonna get figured out. He's got a world of talent. I don't think it's going to be 2nd base but he's an unbelievably gifted athlete.'

So last year when he took off I asked J.P. Riccardi...and I said 'J.P. what's the stor
y' and he said 'It's very simple, he's always had great bat speed... he could never get the timing down, but in September 2009, he finally got it.' It all came together."

OK look, If Gammons wants to tell a story about something that may or may not be true, go ahead. That's fine, I have no beef with that. I do however find it alittle odd though that Bautista had 54 home runs last year and before that, his season high total in homers was 16. Look HERE. Now, do I think the guys on PEDs? I'm not looking to accuse the guy, I don't care. That actually is not what I'm upset about. I'm upset about this next statement by Gammons:

"You know, I don't remember people questioning Joey Votto when he had his great breakout year."

Really Peter, really? I thought you were a well respected baseball man? Why would you throw another great baseball player like Joey Votto under the bus to protect the one your talking about in Jose Bautista? That's irresponsible and disrespectful.

The fact of the matter is Joey Votto's numbers show a progression of power, average and everything else leading up to his "breakout" year as you like to call it. Look HERE. But, if you look at Bautista’s numbers, there is a gigantic increase in 2010 to his previous season which is why everyone is led to believe that something fishy is going on. By the way, here' the interview: Peter Gammons Interview - May 31, 2011 . Listen to it for yourself. Tell me if you find that to be ridiculous, or not. Anyone from the outside looking in can see the numbers on the page and know that something isn't right.

So, back to my point, clearly sports analysts can say whatever they want and no one challenges them. Us bloggers write anything slightly controversial and we're accused to being brainless and a wannabe.

I love Dan Patrick and I think for him, it was a respect thing to get Peter Gammons on, and not really probe. Hell, maybe he didn't even notice what Peter said, who knows. I tweeted Dan yesterday to asked him to please challenge that horrendous comparison between Bautista and Votto. It just didn't make sense to me. My God, can you imagine if he attacked a Yankee with that crap? It would have been World War 3.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

1 comment:

  1. Gammons has ALWAYS been a goose stepping Red Sox hack, every time I watched him on ESPN (sadly he is now on MLB Network, as I am sure you know) he made me nauseous!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017