Tuesday, June 28, 2011

THE RISE OF BRIAN GORDON

I like underdogs and I like when they win. I rooted for Aaron Small, I appreciate players like David Eckstein and Brett Gardner because size doesn’t matter if you have the ability and desire and I admire someone like Kirk Gibson with a limp being asked to pinch hit when the game is on the line for the Dodgers and coming through in unbelievable fashion. I am a baseball nut and when someone like Brian Gordon who’s been a journeyman in the minor leagues gets a shot in the major leagues, I latch on and root for the guy every time he chucks it in. Why? Because the odds are against him and all those others who, when people look at them, they shrug and say, “I just don’t think he can do it.” The best part is, they know they can do it and nine times out of 10, they do.(Photo: Getty)
Brian Gordon can and will be the story of the year for the Yankees if he can deliver what they need from him this year. Quality starts when needed and anything else then want from him. Yes, after 2 starts there are mixed reviews, but let’s face it, even CC has a bad game every once in a while. What we need from Gordon is enough heart to shut down the haters and attract the believers and all the while, keeping the Yankees in every game he pitches. That goes for starts and spot relief.

Look at Bartolo Colon and Freddy Garcia. No one and I mean NO ONE, believed in them. I must admit, I didn’t think Colon had anything. I mocked him, I admit it and now I’ve latched on too. The underdog is my weakness and I have to say, I didn’t follow my heart on that one, I chose to be a hater. I was wrong. I like being proven wrong.

I clearly learned my lesson, and when Gordon was signed and I read his resume, it was attractive to me. Gordon pitched well in his first game and struggled alittle in his second. Luckily, Girardi says there will be a third. The first game, he wasn’t given enough time to think, he just went out there and did his thing. 2 weeks before he was in the minors with probably no shot of being called up, now he’s on the biggest stage in sports and trust me, I believe this kid has what it takes. Again, not every outing will be perfect and his second outing wasn't, but the underdog in Brian Gordon will attract many if he can get the job done in any role. He’s got the experience; it doesn’t matter that it was minor league experience, he was working and if Cashman sees something in this kid, so do I.

Check out Gordon’s line: 2 Games, 10.1 IP, 12 H, 6 R, 4 SO, 3BB and a 5.23 ERA.
(Photo: Neil Miller)

Now, keep in mind, on the Bartolo Colon front, yesterday Colon pitched a simulated game he threw 60 pitched and felt fine, so the word on the street is he could be back soon. Read it HERE. If he does come back, yes I will welcome him back with opened arms, but you still have to feel for Gordon and believe in him. Cashman will too. I say keep him in the bullpen, and on the team and use him in emergency starts or a long man situation.

Latch on Ladies and Gentlemen, Gordon may be the new guy, but he’s more experienced than many pitchers out there, he just needed an outlet, and now he’s got one. If he stays on the straight and narrow and mows down the competition, it will be God damn glorious.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017