Tuesday, June 7, 2011

THE JONES FACTOR

(Photo: Getty)
The one thing I like about Andruw Jones is that he can still hit. He’s a bench guy these days and gets the occasional lineup insert when Joe Girardi doesn’t put Jorge Posada in against lefities, which is good for him. Plus, when a day of rest is needed, he'll fill in for the boys in the outfield of G.G.S. (That’s me trying to be getting creative; Gardner, Granderson and Swisher. Read WHY G.G.S IS A. O.K. if you get a chance.) But the fact of the matter is in the off season, we signed Jones because we knew he would contribute by hitting home runs and on those rare occasions he does get to play, he has. Here is his line far:

  • 62 AB / 14 H / 4 HR / 10 RBI / 2 2B / 6 BB / 20 K
Ok, so that line looks like crap right? wrong. It's a small sample because he hasn't be utilized enough in my opinion. Yes, the 20 strikeouts in 62 at bats is not too good, but I chalk it up to rhythmn. I've said it time and time again with this guy, you use his bat more, you will see results. This guy's bat and body need to keep moving. Jones will go stale if he’s not utilitzed. You need to those homers from Jones as much as you can.

Yes, I know the difficulty of this, you have 3 great oufielders who are doing well, (minus Swisher who is just now slowly coming out of his slump) and a well respected former catcher turned DH in Jorge Posada. I know you can't play Jones every day, but we need to try and play him more, that’s all I’m saying. I think it would be a smart move. It could rest our outfielders alittle and at the same time give the guy some chances to connect.

(Photo: Getty)

What do you think? Do you think Jones will be a huge asset for the Yankees if he plays more like me? Or, do you think Jones needs to play as much as he’s playing now? I would love for you to comment, let me know what you think.

I just feel like the Girardi binder, while helpful on occasion, sometimes becomes a nesseccity for Joe and sometimes he’s got to go with his gut on hitting and pitching matchups. But what do I know, I'm just a blogger.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017