Sunday, May 15, 2011

WHY JORGE DESERVES A 2ND CHANCE

Okay, so before I wrote this post, I was going to give myself 24 hours, at least, to let the whole Posada mess soak in. By soak in, I mean, allowing the fans and the media to sort out and take sides. Well, I can’t wait 24 hours!

I am writing this piece Sunday morning because I've had enough. Whoever is reading this right now may or may not know that I love Jorge Posada. I have written two pieces already this season on how I think he will have a big year. I personally believed that of the Core Four, Jorge Posada is the backbone, the rock that carried Jeter, Mo, Andy, and the rest of the Yankees to the promiseland so many times in the last 15+ years. He's had a solid bat, he called incredible games and as a veteran, the youth flock to him. I am certainly not saying he was the best player of the four, but I believe he was the glue that held the team together. I always thought Posada and Torre were very similar in their importance to those great championship teams. I guess it's no coincidence that they were both catchers.

So, that being said, I have to say how disappointed I am in some Yankee fans who, in less than 12 hours, are just ready to kick Posada to the curb and throw him to the wolves. "Goodbye, thanks for nothing" is all I'm reading and it makes me sick.Okay, so based on what we heard from Posada and Girardi, it's quite obvious that Posada made a huge mistake here. Casey expanded on that in WHY THE EMPIRE MUST STRIKE BACK, read it if you haven't. Much to my surprise, Posada has never gotten over his “demotion” to DH. I admit, I thought he buried those feelings and was moving on. I was wrong. Jorge clearly is frustrated by his own problems at the plate and he is someone who has always worn his emotions on his sleeve, and that’s the part that kills me with these Yankee fans who want to dismiss Jorge. Isn’t that why we loved Posada over the years? We love him for his passion for the game, for his emotions he shows on and off the field. We love him for the way he cares so much about winning. Remember the Pedro, Posada confrontation in 2004? We loved him then...so what's changed? He makes one mistake, granted it is a big mistake, and the so called “fans” are ready to say goodbye! Come on.

What happened to second chances? What happened to the Yankee family? Jorge is family! One of the greatest members of the Yankee family ever in our lifetime, and just like any family, members of that family sometimes make mistakes. Sometimes they let people down. So what do we do, kick that person out of the family? No, we don't. We support that person when they need it the most. This is what, we the fans, should be doing right now.I love the Yankees and I love the passion of our fans. You are all entitled to your opinions and I am not writing this piece to try and mold your thoughts. All I am asking is to give Jorge Posada and the Yanks and little room here. Let's not divide the Yankee family, let's support them.

Tonight, what I want to see is this; Jorge, if he is in the lineup tonight, should get announced and suddenly we should hear a thunderous ovation in Yankee Stadium. A tremendous applause that will make the game stop for a moment and make Jorge realize what is happening. Then, with a moment to himself, wouldn't it be nice to see Jorge give us a wave, tip his hat, communicate with his Yankee family, us, in the stands. Tonight, we need to let him realize that the Yankees are behind him and we need him, no matter what. It's Jorge Posada, come on guys.


--Mikey Blue, BYB Senior Writer
Twitter @MikeyBlu23


Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.


4 comments:

  1. I'm in agreement here, Mikey. Jorge was wrong in his actions, no question. But the calls to boot him are absolutely ridiculous. When he settles in as DH he'll be better for it. It's not easy to accept a lesser role. I mean, he's not even allowed to catch in the bullpen. But hopefully, he can lay it all aside and get back to playing good baseball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. Jorge had a meltdown, who hasn't. He had his in the biggest media market of all and had press coverage. Jorge made a mistake and then Cashman compounded it.Cashman could easily have said, we'll have something to say after the game. Cooler heads could have prevailed. But no. My prediction is that Jorge will get LOUD applause next time he's in the lineup at the stadium.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bleeding Yankees blue this piece is well done I like you believe in Posada and the team. We as Yankees fans are suppose to stand by them no matter what through thick and thin. I all morning long have been stand up for Posada while other are so quick to throw him under the bus where is the sense of loyality the man has given 16 years of his life to the team and his is the respect he is given. What happen to Yankees do or die attitude this is what it is to be a true Yankees fan. I am behind all the player on the team just like 2 weeks ago these same so call fans were throwing Jeter under the bus as well and now he's producing and those same people are cheering him on wtf your either a real fan or your not!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a 3rd generation Yankee fan, I, also believe that Posada deserves some latitude, in terms of what transpired.

    Respectfully, I don't want to sound like a hack for any side.

    Here in Yankees Universe-South Florida, he has a big following because even though he was born in the PR, he is part Cuban American...since '99, I have admired him and his later de facto co-captaincy with his BFF Jeter.

    Hence, when he was given his last contract, I thought we over-commited on the years (not the money part) BUT he had earned, in my humble estimation.

    Again, not to rehash the issue, is I think it is moot but what is now being reported goes beyond the 9th spot or his 'back'.

    He asked Cash out of the team ENTIRELY and of course Cash did not take that literally, and chalked it up to the heat of the moment.

    Now, let's right the ship back on course, let's try to give Nova a 5-6 runs lead prior to 6th-7th, God willing.

    LET'S GO YANKEES

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017