Saturday, March 26, 2011

WHY SITTING NOW MAKES YOU CHUBBY LATER

So, Joe Girardi made a couple big decisions these past 24 hours. Super Nova will be our #4 starter and I could not be happier. I think the kid earned it and was psyched to hear Joe is ready to give him his shot. The fourth spot is usually not something the media spends too much time on, or even fans for that matter, but to me, the #4 spot in the rotation on ANY team is just as important as #2 & #3 spots because on any given start you may need to be the guy to stop the bleeding on a losing streak. Or, often, the #4 becomes the #1 after a team finishes a big three game series and moves onto the next one. Anyway, good look Ivan Nova. We are definitely pulling for you!

Now, onto why I actually wrote this piece. It’s not the end of my Yankee world because Joe went with Freddy Garcia instead of Bartolo Colon for the #5 spot, but I have to disagree with our Skipper. Here’s why:

I think we all can agree that Bartolo Colon would probably not be able to finish an entire year as a starter in this league anymore. I mean, 28-30 starts and 200+ innings is probably way in the past for Colon. So, I see Girardi’s logic in deciding to go with Garcia over Colon. I’m sure Joe is thinking that Garcia stands a better chance of pulling off a season of 28-32 starts and somewhere in the neighborhood of 150-200 innings. But, why start Garcia now? What is the rush?

Let me ask you all a question…out of Colon and Garcia, who would you think stands a better chance of coming up with a big start for us in late July or mid-August after having spent the previous months of the season in the bullpen? My answer, Garcia. Colon, whom we all know has a very tough time keeping off the weight and keeping himself in shape, is now expected to basically sit out on that bullpen and MAYBE get an inning or two every week... MAYBE. Tough to stay in shape like that. Also, Colon has been hot this Spring and showed the Yankees his arm is alive and well, so why not take advantage of this right now? Why not start him now and get all you can out of him until his gas tank hits “E”. Then, you put him in the bullpen and pull Garcia out to finish the year in that #5 spot. And, who knows, maybe Colon resurrects his dominance and gives us a productive full year from the #5 spot?

Now look, I am not losing sleep over this move, and I am pretty sure none of you are, but I just feel that Joe should have went with the hot hand to start the year and get as many wins out of Colon or at least quality starts as you can now, early in the year. Otherwise, I hope the Yankees plan on planting a vegetable garden in that bullpen to keep Colon from turning into William "Refrigerator" Perry.

I'm sure Casey will disagree with me on this one, looking for his take! You like my take? Tell me why...Comment or hit me on Twitter @Mattingly85MVP


--Mikey Blue, BYB Senior Writer


Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017