Monday, February 7, 2011

WHY ANDY'S DONE... PERIOD

I didn't want to write this because this whole theory that Andy Pettitte "might come back" is a pipe dream. But there is so much chatter about it, so I had to state my opinion. So sue me.

Andy Pettitte is retired, period. He sat down at a press conference in front of the world and told us all that he needed to hang it up. I told you he would do that. I knew he would never just walk away without saying goodbye. He knew there were a ton of us fans that supported him all these years. Andy Pettitte was respectful to us. So, I find it disrespectful that everyone is still speculating that Andy "may" come back. As far as I'm concerned, we need to turn the page and move on. Bottom line, we don't have him this Spring Training and I know we won't have him for Opening day because he said he's RETIRED. Know it, respect it, move forward.

Much like habit, we expect to see him there. It's like our mind is playing tricks on us, similarly to the way the Yankees used to spend in the off season and now we don't. It just ain't happening, so adjust.
This is how I read this mess: The rotation is what it is. Cashman has a plan, let's let him do it. If it fails, we crucify him, but it's his job not ours and if he blows it, he's gone. But let him try and fix it, after all, he has succeeded in the past. Let's trust what he's doing. Yes, the Pettitte retirement was a major blow, but now it's time to fix it, and Cash will try.

One day in 2011, we could possibly wake up to news that Andy's going to come back, that he wants to pitch again, but none of us know that will happen and my feeling is if the dude shows up one day...Great, but don't look for it.

Look, retirement is a bitch. It's supposed to be relaxing, but it's not. You do a job for 40 years, or 23 years, or 16 years and you have a routine EVERY DAY. The day that routine ends is the day you go crazy. My point is, Andy will either settle in or get antsy (or crazy) and try again. We just can't bank on the latter happening.

So to all of you who want him back, I get it, but respect Andy Pettitte. He pitched a beautiful career and he honestly doesn't owe us anything. He did what he was supposed to do as a ballplayer... Win.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017